Lecturer in Landscape Architecture / Urban Design
Birmingham City University
Faculty: Arts, Design and Media
School: Birmingham School of Architecture and Design
Lecturer in Landscape Architecture / Urban Design
Part time/full time: Full Time (37 hours)
Location: Parkside Building, City Centre Campus / China and Hong Kong
Closing Date: [4 weeks after advert]
Interview Date: 25th September 2019
Ref No: HR TO COMPLETE
LECTURER IN LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE / URBAN DESIGN
Joining the Birmingham School of Architecture and Design as a Lecturer in Landscape Architecture / Urban Design you will be principally responsible for leading our “flying faculty” provision teaching Landscape Architecture at our partner institutes, The Birmingham Institute of Fashion and Creative Art (BIFCA) based in Wuhan, China, and SHAPE in Hong Kong. This will include 3-4 visits of circa 2 weeks at a time to China per academic year, as well as circa 3 visits to Hong Kong to teach for a similar length of time. These trips may be combined if this proves to be logistically possible. You will also oversee the 2+2 route in which students from Wuhan study in Birmingham for the final two years of their BA degree.
The remainder of your time will be spent in Birmingham teaching on our BA and MA Landscape Architecture courses, as well as BA and M.Arch Architecture, and our new BA Design for Future Living course which all feature elements of urban design.
We will look to you to ensure an excellent student experience through the use of relevant and inspiring learning, teaching, and assessment methods. You will also provide support and mentoring to individual students via our personal tutor system.
Other duties and opportunities may include assisting with cross School teaching and activities such as live project modules and superstudio, organising and leading student trips, and research and/or enterprise work.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Leading the School’s Landscape Architecture Trans National Education and “Flying Faculty” provision
- Teaching Landscape Architecture / Urban Design in the UK, China, Hong Kong, and possible future international partnerships
- Contribute to Urban Design teaching on BA and M.Arch Architecture, and BA Design for Future Living
Skills and Experience
- Successful candidates should have qualifications in the field of Landscape Architecture and/or Urban Design to at least Masters level and ideally be professional body accredited
- A track record of teaching in Higher Education, ideally in different cultures and also across a number of different courses
- A collaborative and mutli-disciplinary approach is desirable given the range of disciplines in the School
- Team working skills and philosophy are essential
- A willingness to travel on University business will be essential
Previous teaching experience is absolutely essential and industry experience is also welcomed. You should have excellent design and communication skills, as well as be able to contribute to another area of the curriculum such as history and theory, construction / technical studies, skills building, or professional studies.
Other specific qualities the role requires include the ability and willingness to travel extensively, the ability to operate successfully in other cultures, whilst expertise in urban design will be an advantage as this will facilitate teaching on a number of courses across the School.
For a confidential and informal conversation about the posts please contact Head of School Professor Kevin Singh via firstname.lastname@example.org
As part of your application, please attach your CV, Covering Letter and Highest Qualification. Candidates are advised to remove personal information, including names to ensure a fair and transparent recruitment process.
Please note that the closing date for the above role and for the applications is 17th September 2019.
Where would you like to advertise and for how long?
Do you wish the post to be open for the Tier 2 candidates? (international apps?
Interview chair and panel members:
Kevin Singh (chair), Hannah Vowles, Lucas Hughes to shortlist
Dawn Parke and Sze Ng to also attend interview
Please use the following criteria on stonefish
- Upload CV (no cover letter thanks)
- Education and Qualifications (essential)
- Your current role
- Previous Higher Education teaching experience (essential)
- Experience of working internationally
- Provide examples of your research interests and/or specialist knowledge in another area of the curriculum such as Technology, History and Theory, Professional Studies, or skills in order to contribute to other areas of the School’s curriculum or research profile.
For more information about applying and for the job description for the post, please see the current vacancies on the BCU website:
Alternatively if you require the application in a different format please contact the Human Resources Department at email@example.com or on 0121 331 6693.
Birmingham City University seeks to be a single status employer and benefits include up to 32 days annual holiday, an index linked contributory pension scheme and an employee medical scheme.
Birmingham City University is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
To apply, please visit https://jobs.bcu.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?id=2954&forced=1