Department: Office of the Registrar
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 09 September 2019
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The Office of the Registrar is seeking a dynamic and proactive professional to assist the successful running of the office by completing duties and responsibilities in a professional and timely manner. This position consolidates initiatives such as student recruitment, admissions, enrolment, managing academic records and data reporting, timetabling and scheduling, student information systems, graduation activities, course registration, grading, and quality assurance.
The Assistant Registrar will also assist the Registrar in providing secretariat services for the University Academic Council and in formulating, developing, implementing, and monitoring the compliance of academic policies and processes. The Assistant Registrar will also support university-wide alumni affairs activities. The incumbent is also responsible for student experience on the UCA campus providing high quality, student-centred professional support services.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
Recruitment and Admissions
- Responsible for the student application and admissions processes for the University’s academic programmes in Central Asia.
- Act as Secretary to UCA’s admissions and progression committee and send acceptance or rejection letters to candidates, as directed by the Admissions Committee.
- Maintain and record admissions data using the University’s Student Information and Administration System.
- Implement a transparent, effective and efficient methodology for student applications, testing, and admission for the University’s undergraduate and eventually graduate programmes.
- Work with the Head of Student Recruitment to manage admissions testing across Central Asia.
- Maintain student records including; enrolment, grades and transcripts, using People Soft software.
- Compile, maintain and track academic information and records for students in UCA’s programmes.
- Work with the Student Affairs Office to plan and coordinate orientation activities for first year students.
- Ensure that students are informed of the University’s academic policies.
- Publish the university academic calendar, course loads into the student academic system, and manage course inventory.
- Manage systems that support scheduling of classrooms, meeting rooms and discussion spaces as well as the scheduling of courses, mid-terms, and final exams.
- Present student performance reports to the Registrar and respective Deans as well as develop reports on student progression, withdrawals, Dean’s List, and transcript requests.
- Prepare verification of attendance/graduation and confirmation of enrolment letters for students as requested.
- Maintain a database to track potential applicants to UCA including data on student applications, testing, and admission for the University’s undergraduate and eventually graduate programmes.
- Work with Finance to administer scholarship evaluation, delivery of scholarships, bursaries, and other financial aid.
- Support in coordinating convocation ceremonies
- Maintain a database that will enable the University to track its alumni.
Quality Assurance and Accreditation Related Duties
- Retain individual student portfolios of assessed work for quality assurance purposes.
- Support the respective Deans and the Academic Heads to implement University policies and regulations.
- Undertake any other duties related to the University’s accreditation in Central Asia and abroad.
- Support in preparing and submitting required documents and reports to the Ministries of Education of the Founding States. This includes but is not limited to: annual rules for admission, annual plans for admission, and annual Orders of Admission.
- Support with liaising with the Ministries of Education of the Founding States to process equivalencies of foreign high school credentials for international students.
- Master’s degree from an internationally recognised university.
- At least 2 years of working experience in a university environment, preferably in one of the Founding States (Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan).
- Fluency in both written and oral English and Russian is required.
- Working knowledge of Kyrgyz, Tajik, and Kazakh would be an asset.
- Proven record of strong administrative and organisational skills.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- 4+ years extensive of working experience in a university environment, preferably in one of the Founding States.
- Ability and experience in analyzing statistical data on student admissions, registration, examinations and graduation for administrative use in formulating policies, statistical reporting and data mining.
- Experience in quality assurance and accreditation processes.
- Experience with student recruitment and university admissions processes within Central Asia.
- Strong IT skills. Experience working with campus software would be an asset.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Detail oriented, with the ability to handle multiple tasks and competing deadlines in a timely fashion and with accuracy.
- Able to work both independently, and as part of a team.
The Assistant Registrar will report to the Registrar and will work in cooperation with other members of the Registrar’s Office and other UCA academic units.
The position will be based in Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic and would require regional travel.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 9th 2019. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Assistant Registrar”.
Candidates from UCA’s Founding States (Tajikistan, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan) are highly encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.