Department: Office of Legal Affairs, Operations
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic
Deadline: 10 September 2019
Summary of the Position
The Compliance Officer / Lawyer will be responsible for the management and administration of UCA's compliance matters and documents control. In addition, he / she will be accountable for maintaining and implementing UCA Safe Disclosure Policy and be responsible for the management of disclosures. A part of the time of the Compliance Officer / Lawyer will be allocated to assisting the Office of Legal Affairs with its ongoing legal issues. The position will report to the Director - Legal Affairs.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
In general, the Compliance Officer / Lawyer shall ensure that UCA complies with its internal policies and applicable laws of the Kyrgyz Republic, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan, and shall also be responsible for the management of disclosures made in accordance with UCA Safe Disclosure Policy.
- Keep up to date with relevant and applicable laws and regulations;
- Monitor UCA compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies;
- Investigate irregularities and non-compliance issues related to partner Universities, Donor Agencies and contracts of expatriate staff;
- Highlight or escalate areas of concern to the senior management;
- Contribute to robust and effective compliance controls within UCA;
- Assist in the gathering of internal information in response to regulatory requests;
- Collaborate with other departments to create a culture of compliance;
- Collect and collate all contracts entered into by UCA;
- Monitor and update (where necessary) document control procedures for continued tracking and reporting;
- Coordinate with various departments to obtain copies of contracts;
- Coordinate with the Finance Department to obtain details of possible contracts;
- Ensure that all financial transactions are supported by contract documentation;
- Update, maintain and archive a comprehensive database of all contracts;
- Maintain all relevant files related to contract documentation;
- Verify contracts to ensure these are validated by the legal department;
- Ensure the implementation of the Safe Disclosure Policy;
- Ensure that all electronic or paper files or materials relevant to an internal investigation are kept confidential and secure;
- Report a summary of the investigations of disclosures to the Audit & Risk Committee; and
- Assist the Office of Legal Affairs with its ongoing legal issues.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Specialist diploma or bachelor’s degree in law;
- LL.M. would be an advantage.
- A minimum of 3 years of experience as a lawyer (experience with well-known law firms is desired);
- Experience as a compliance officer, safe disclosure officer or internal investigator would be an added advantage.
Skills and Competencies
- Good understanding of monitoring and managing contracts and other documents.
- Proficiency in English and Russian; and
- Ability to independently interact and communicate with the stakeholders.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 10th 2019. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Compliance Officer”.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.