HWU-MacTaggart Scott KTP Associate in Marine Composites
School of Engineering & Physical Sciences
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
A research leadership position is available in partnership between MacTaggart, Scott & Co. Ltd (MTS) and Heriot-Watt University for a 30 month full-time KTP Associate position. Although employed by the university the KTP Associate will be based primarily at MTS located at Loanhead, within 6 miles of Edinburgh and 7 miles from Heriot-Watt University. MTS and Heriot-Watt have a long standing alliance.
The core business of MTS is the design and manufacturing of mission-critical naval products with a focus on bespoke heavy duty, mission critical mechanical handling systems for surface ships and submarine applications. The successful candidate will lead research to establish and develop advanced polymer composite components for integration into submarine composite structures. The KTP Associate will be pivotal to continuing this long standing alliance and will have access to support from the diverse and comprehensive engineering team at MTS and the world class research of HWU.
Key duties and responsibilities
The post holder is required to;
Interface effectively between the university and MTS and drive research and production of composite design through to production, translating university based fundamental knowledge right through to manufacturing capability.
Develop research objectives and proposals for your own or joint research with the assistance of a mentor at both the university and MTS. Conduct individual and collaborative research projects, making use of relevant research techniques and methods. Disseminate results of research in peer reviewed journals and conferences, and/or other appropriate media. Continue to update personal knowledge and to develop skills within own specialist research area. Maintain written records of research results and progress generated intellectual property and data analysis. Contribute to the production of research reports and publications.
The position carries considerable responsibility. The Associate will report directly to the senior management team, therefore good presentation and communication skills are also desirable. Some of the projects will involve working with clients and customers of the company in various locations, which will require strong interpersonal skills.
Write research reports and publications. Analyse and interpret the results of own research and generate original ideas bases on outcomes. Prepare proposals and applications to external bodies, e.g. for funding purposes. Use initiative and creativity to identify areas for research, develop new research methods and extend the research portfolio.
Build internal contacts and participate in internal networks for the exchange of information and to form relationships for future collaboration. Work with academic and industry colleagues on areas of shared research interest and contribute to collaborative decision making. Join external networks to share information and identify potential sources of funds.
Provide guidance as required to support staff, research students and any other students both at HWU and MTS who may be assisting with the research.
The successful candidate will be required to ingrate into the R&D and Engineering departments at MTS. They will need to lead the implementation of their research and interact effectively with Production Engineering, Manufacturing and Test departments.
The successful candidate will be expected to represent the company as necessary to appropriate stakeholders. Occasional travel may be required.
Contribute, under supervision, to the planning of research projects, including the development of new grant/contract proposals. Make internal and external contacts to develop knowledge and understanding and form relationships for future collaboration.
We are looking for a creative and highly motivated researcher willing to work as part of a team, as well as provide critical leadership as required for driving the project forwards.
The ideal candidate will have a strong theoretical understanding and an experimental background in one or more of the following fields: materials chemistry and properties, polymer composites,
Good communication skills and an appropriate publication record are essential. A good working knowledge of word processing (eg MS Word) and presentation (eg MS Powerpoint) software are essential.
General tasks will involve scientific research; analysis and interpretation of data; daily oversight of the activities of postgraduate and undergraduate project students in the laboratory; communication with other investigators involved in this collaborative project; preparation of scientific papers; presentation of research at conferences.
The successful candidate will be expected to conduct and lead their own experiments whilst also supervising the activities of junior group members and PhD students.
Responsibilities will also include assistance in the day-to-day maintenance of the experimental facilities, liaising with companies and external collaborators.
The successful candidate is also expected to be involved in our outreach activities, with roles that can be tuned to the specific preferences of the candidate but will involve for example interviews, talks for the general public and preparation of experimental demonstrators.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Possess and maintain sufficient breadth or depth of specialist discipline knowledge and or research methods and techniques to work in own area.
- Experience of working in a Higher Education and/or similar research and development environment.
- Applicants should either hold a PhD in a relevant area of chemistry, physics or materials or a related subject (or have submitted their thesis by the start date of the project) or have a Masters degree in one these areas together with relevant experience.
- A record of high quality publications, and evidence of contribution to the writing of these publications proportionate to opportunity.
- Appropriate publication record for stage in career.
- Experience of manufacturing and testing of polymer composites.
- Must have proven academic ability and a demonstrably high level of technical competence in experimental science and the analysis / modelling of the results.
- Strong theoretical understanding and thorough grounding in experimental techniques relevant to the project.
- Experience of experimental design (DOE) and integration.
- Ability to articulate research work, both in technical reports / papers and by oral presentation
- Ability to formulate and progress work on their own initiative
- Evidence of research ability, such as problem solving, critical thinking, flexibility, data analysis, exploitation of results, drawing appropriate conclusions.
- Must be able to work as part of a team on the experiments at both Heriot-Watt and MTS as well as more widely with the collaborators
- Experience in writing and managing peer-reviewed papers.
- Experience in public presentations of scientific results (e.g. conference talks)
- Evidence of an ability to integrate into an operational, heavy duty engineering business
- The position is dependent on the successful candidate clearing MoD security checking
- Evidence of ability to present work effectively in person, e.g. at conferences, seminars, internal board reviews, formal project meetings, etc.
- Experience in project management and budget control.
- Experience with utilizing COMSOL or similar simulation software.
- Experience in leading the writing of scientific papers, technical reports and patents
- Experience of programming for data acquisition (e.g. LabVIEW) and analysis.
- Experience of working in a multi-cultural work environment.
- Knowledge of sensing technology such as NDT and MDE methods
- Evidence of ability, subject to opportunity, to guide other researchers, e.g. PhD students and undergraduate project students.
- Experience of research-student supervision.
- Capability to be self-directed and think innovatively.
- Energy and enthusiasm for the project.
- Experience working in a manufacturing and / or heavy duty engineering business
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 16 September 2019
Informal enquiries may be made to David Bucknall at firstname.lastname@example.org
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.