Animal Technician Officer
- Provide a high standard of animal care and technical support
- Full time, continuing position located at the Melbourne (Bundoora) Campus
- $62,549 - $66,175 per annum + up to 17% superannuation
About La Trobe
La Trobe University’s success is driven by people who are committed to making a difference. They are creative and highly motivated, pursue new ideas and create knowledge. La Trobe is one of Australia’s research leaders, and the largest provider of higher education to regional Victoria. Our teaching and research address some of the most significant issues of our time and we’re passionate about driving change through operational excellence to benefit the communities we serve.
About the position
The role of Animal Technician Officer, LARTF, incorporates animal husbandry and monitoring activities and provision of technical support to facility users for animals involved in research and teaching at La Trobe University according to relevant approvals, standard operating procedures and work instructions. The Animal Technician Officer must deliver a consistently high standard of animal care and research support in a setting where safeguarding animal welfare and providing excellent service to clients are key objectives.
Responsibilities will include:
- Application of a sound understanding of the needs of species being cared for to facilitate effective welfare monitoring and performance of husbandry tasks including but not limited to the cleaning of animal cages/enclosures and the provision of food, water and enrichment
- Maintenance of breeding and/or experimental animal colonies in accordance with the Australian code for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes
- Perform technical procedures to a high standard in accordance with best practice and relevant approvals, standard operating procedures and work instructions.
- Record keeping and associated reporting, including animal welfare checks, occupancy records, breeding patterns, animal health records, adverse events and risk documentation
- Maintain compliance with AEC and IBC approvals and work in accordance with Departmental and University policies and procedures
- Participate in a roster providing LARTF service over weekend, public holiday and University shutdown periods
Skills and Experience
To be successful you will have:
- Diploma of Animal Technology or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education / training
- Skills and experience with a variety of animals used in research and teaching demonstrating sound knowledge of animal husbandry, breeding, health and welfare monitoring, and technical procedures. Experience with care and use of Zebrafish in the research environment would be highly regarded.
- A flexible attitude to work and an ability to accommodate and adapt to change
- A high standard of organization and time management skills including the ability to prioritise competing demands on time
- Relevant experience demonstrating good communication skills including verbal, written, listening, interpreting and nonverbal skills.
All La Trobe University employees are bound by the Working with Children Act 2005. If you are successful, you will be required to hold a valid Victorian Employee Working with Children Check prior to commencement.
Please click on this link for a full list of Benefits http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs/working/benefits
How to apply
Closing date: Wednesday 28th August 2019 by 11.00pm AEST.
Position Enquiries: Christine Findlay Senior Manager on 9479 2537, La Trobe Animal Research and Teaching Facility or C.firstname.lastname@example.org
HR/Recruitment Enquiries: Alyssa Brabender, Recruitment Consultant, +61 3 9479 1102 or email@example.com
To apply and to view position description please visit http://www.latrobe.edu.au/jobs and search for job number 558669 under current vacancies.
Only candidates with full working rights in Australia may apply for this position.
Please submit an online application ONLY and include the following documents:
- Cover letter;
- An up to date resume; and
- A separate document addressing each essential and desirable bullet point in the Key Selection Criteria which is located in the position description.
Please scroll down to apply.
La Trobe Cultural Qualities:
We are Accountable, We are Connected, We are Innovative, We Care La Trobe University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
La Trobe is proud to be a member of the Science in Australia Gender Equity (SAGE) Athena SWAN program to advance gender equality in academia.