Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor in Education
The Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor (Early Childhood and Primary – English Curriculum and Literacy Education) is responsible for the development of course materials and the delivery of teaching in undergraduate and postgraduate Education programs.
The incumbent conducts research and publishes in the fields of Early Childhood and Primary – English Curriculum and Literacy Education and supervises Higher Degree Research candidates, preferably contributing to teaching and research in the areas of Indigenous Education and regional, rural and remote education.
The Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor supports community engagement; works collaboratively with schools in the region; and supports the University’s Strategic Intent.
James Cook University
- Create, establish and facilitate learning experiences and strategies that support and encourage the provision of inclusive and engaging student-centred learning environments.
- Design, develop and coordinate subject curriculum and assessment activities that reflect scholarly learning and teaching practices, and comply with core principles in JCU’s Learning, Teaching and Assessment policy.
- Use blended learning strategies, learning technologies, and a range of contemporary pedagogies to prepare and deliver lectures, workshops/tutorials and online learning experiences at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
- Supervise and/or co-supervise Higher Degree candidates to completion; mentor Higher Degree candidates in publication and dissemination of research.
- Generate and/or collaborate on publications; develop and/or lead and apply for research funding proposals internally and externally on an individual basis, and as a member of a team.
- Evaluate personal and professional practices to enhance and improve learning and teaching and student outcomes; contribute to ethical professional practices in team and in teaching contexts; participate in professional development relative to discipline/course roles including peer review.
- Contribute to discipline and cross-discipline governance and co-operation at Academic Group and College level through participation in committees appropriate to the level of appointment.
- Conduct and participate in professional and community engagement activities, with a view to sustain positive professional and academic partnerships in pursuit of JCU’s strategic intent.
- Support the University's commitment to the principles of reconciliation, which exemplify respect for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander heritage and the valuing of justice and equity for all Australians.
- Demonstrate a commitment to the University values.
- Support the principles of the TropEco program and engage in commitment to JCU sustainability goals and objectives.
There are generic responsibilities that apply to all James Cook University staff.
- The Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Education is required to observe the lawful and reasonable directions, policies and decisions of the University Council, understand and comply with the Enterprise Agreement, the Statutes and Rules of the University, the policies and decisions of the University Council and other appropriate University authorities, as in force from time to time.
- The Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Education is required to demonstrate a personal commitment to ensure personal safety and the safety of others and contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance. This includes the effective implementation and compliance with James Cook University WHS policies, procedures and safe systems of work, together with all relevant legislation, duties and obligations. Contribute to the continuous improvement of our WHS performance.
- The Senior Lecturer/Associate Professor, Education is required to exercise proper discretion in all matters affecting the well-being of the University which involve public writing or speaking in accordance with the University’s Code of Conduct.
Academic Duty Descriptor
Selection and appointments will be assessed against selection criteria.
- Possess: (a) a PhD in Education; (b) a teaching qualification; and (c) be eligible for registration with the Queensland College of Teachers.
- Demonstrated successful teaching experience in Early Childhood and/or Primary school settings.
- Ability to contribute to, lead and develop undergraduate and postgraduate teaching programs in the areas of Early Childhood and Primary – English Curriculum and Literacy Education.
- A proven track record of research publications in the areas of Early Childhood and Primary – English Curriculum and Literacy Education appropriate to the level of appointment.
- Demonstrated successful experience working collaboratively in teams on teaching, research, and school and community engagement projects.
- Effective communication and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to work in a collegial manner and demonstrated organisational and administrative skills.
- Experience in developing and delivering innovative curriculum in Higher Education and in blended learning and online modes comprising synchronous and asynchronous delivery.
- Understanding of, and commitment to, James Cook University’s Strategic Intent and focus on the Tropics.