This is NTNU
At NTNU, creating knowledge for a better world is the vision that unites our 7 000 employees and 40 000 students.
We are looking for dedicated employees to join us.
About the position
We are looking for a technical engineer/laboratory manager within optics and laser based measuring and materials processing systems.
We have a vacancy for a head engineer in the technical group at the Department of physics. The position is primarily connected to laboratories that perform research and experimental work within time- and spectrally resolved luminescence spectroscopy, lasers development, design and manufacturing of optics material and optical fibres, as well as in the use of optical methods in various themes of physics.
The successful candidate will play a central role in maintaining our research laboratories. Knowledge of lasers, optical fibres and optical measuring systems, including control electronics and data acquisition systems, is desired.
In addition to the experimental setup and operation of the optical instruments, the successful candidate will have the responsibility for laser safety issues (HSE) and assist running student and research projects.
The position reports to the technical manager of the physics department.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Installation and maintenance of optical instruments in different laboratories.
- Day-to-day running of the laboratory i.e. scheduling student projects, training and assistance of students, health and safety training (HSE responsible), procurement of consumables, assisting in accounting for the labs, etc.
- Other job tasks across the department may also be necessary.
- Education at University level, MSc/PhD.
- Primary competence in optics/photonics or electrical engineering or natural sciences from a technical college or University, within a subject area relevant for the work duties, e.g. optics, photonics, electrical engineering and physics.
- Experimental experience from use of optical instrumentation and analytical methods including lasers, autocorrelators, cameras, spectrometers and light detectors.
- Experience in using software to control measurements systems e.g. Labview, Matlab, python, etc.
- Good written and oral English. It is expected that Norwegian language skills are proactively learned within an adequate period after employment.
- Knowledge of solid-state or fibre lasers, optical design, signal analysis, software control and electronics.
- Experience with manufacturing of optic fibres.
- Proactive and positive attitude
- Cooperation skills
In the evaluation of which candidate is best qualified, emphasis will be placed on education, experience and personal suitability, as well as motivation, in terms of the qualification requirements specified in the advertisement
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
Salary and conditions
The position as Head Engineer (code 1087) is remunerated according to the Norwegian State Salary Scale, depending on qualifications and seniority. From the salary, 2 % is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachment are seen to conflict with the criterias in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. After the appointment you must assume that there may be changes in the area of work.
A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to: Technical Manager Dr Oddbjørn Eriksen, phone +47 73559201 / +47 92477943, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or head of the institute, Professor Erik Wahlström, phone +47 73593640 / +47 47343567, email: email@example.com
Please submit your application electronically via jobbnorge.no with your CV, diplomas and certificates. Applicants invited for interview must include certified copies of transcripts and reference letters. Please refer to the application number NV-86/19 when applying.
Application deadline: 29.09.2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Physics
Our research and teaching are both experimental and theoretical, covering a wide range of disciplines. Our activities contribute to development of new medical technology and to finding solutions for the next generation’s communication technology, energy utilization and development of materials. The Department of Physics is one of eight departments in the Faculty of Natural Sciences.
Employer: NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service: Trondheim