At CERN, the European Organization for Nuclear Research, physicists and engineers are probing the fundamental structure of the universe. Using the world's largest and most complex scientific instruments, they study the basic constituents of matter - fundamental particles that are made to collide together at close to the speed of light. The process gives physicists clues about how particles interact, and provides insights into the fundamental laws of nature. Find out more on http://home.cern.
Great science needs great people! Are you an administrative assistant with great communication and organisational skills looking to thrive in an environment where multitasking is essential?
Join the ATLAS secretariat and provide a seamless service to the many scientists coming from all over the world. CERN, take part!
The Experimental Physics Department’s Administration and General Services Group is responsible for providing administrative secretarial support to the Department, Experiments and Groups. Our services include general office duties in accordance with the Organization's administrative procedures, including other special contributions such as the participation in the organisation of events.
You will join the Secretarial Support Section and a multi-cultural team with a wide range of skills and expertise providing services to the collaborators of scientific communities. You will also ensure that the flow of information inside and outside your direct working environment is of the highest standard.
You will have the opportunity to broaden your knowledge in new areas, and discover domains where excellence is the key driving factor. Specific training is available, as well as support for professional development to foster your skills and develop your talents.
As an Administrative Assistant in the Secretarial Support Section, you will join a team of assistants and participate in the daily management of the secretariat office with special emphasis on information, communication and organisational services.
- Act as first line support concerning the visiting physicists' queries in contact with relevant services inside and outside CERN.
- Provide administrative and secretarial services associated with scheduling and coordinating meetings and events.
- Assist in the preparation and follow-up of documentation and correspondence including their publication and circulation.
- Contribute in the update of the databases and the web sites of CERN and the experiment(s), in collaboration with the CERN Users Office and collaborating institutes.
- Provide administrative support for the follow-up of financial matters related to orders and payments of various types.
- Maintain physical and electronic documents, web pages, shared files and records to provide up-to-date information.
- Make sure that CERN's different rules and procedures are respected and correctly applied in different situations.
- Replace other assistants during their absence.
Technical certificate or general secondary education in the field of administration or a related field.
- Demonstrated experience in an administrative service or secretariat in an international environment.
- Customer service.
- Secretarial work.
- Archiving and records management: scientific information and document management.
- Use of Office software packages: knowledge of web-based collaborative platforms would be an advantage.
- Working in teams: contributing to promoting a positive atmosphere in the team through an optimistic and constructive attitude; addressing issues.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; providing others with timely information.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Demonstrating accountability: presenting information accurately and objectively; working conscientiously and reliably; delivering on promises; maintaining confidentiality.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Spoken and written English and French: ability to understand and communicate in both languages in professional contexts as well as draft texts for publications and official communications.
- Any additional language knowledge will be considered as an asset.
Eligibility and closing date:
Diversity has been an integral part of CERN's mission since its foundation and is an established value of the Organization. Employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States and Associate Member States.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 08.09.2019.
Contract type: Limited duration contract (2 years). Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
Job grade: 3-4
Job reference: EP-AGS-SE-2019-77-LD
Benchmark Job Title: Personal/Team Assistant
Please make sure you have all the documents needed to hand as you start your application, as once it is submitted, you will not be able to upload any documents or edit your application further