Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Accounting
- $97,398-$136,559 p.a + 17% superannuation
- Melbourne Burwood location
- Join an internationally renowned Accounting Department
Deakin Business School’s Department of Accounting comprises 44 full-time faculty and is internationally renowned for its innovative and high-quality teaching at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Recently achieving an ERA of 4 which indicates research above world class, the department members have published in leading journals in the discipline, including but not limited to The Accounting Review, Journal of Accounting and Economics, Accounting, Organizations and Society and Contemporary Accounting Research.
Deakin's Department of Accounting boasts strong industry engagement, world-class teaching facilities and is at the forefront of innovative research. This is seen in Office of Learning and Teaching Grants, the IPA-Deakin SME Research partnership, the integrated reporting research centre, close collaboration with the accounting profession to increase the number of Indigenous Australians entering the accounting profession and commissioned research for the Australian Accounting Standards Board.
The department’s strong industry engagement is further illustrated by its longstanding association with Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand in teaching the Chartered Accountants Foundation program.
We are looking to further enhance our capabilities in financial accounting, management accounting and auditing and therefore we have an exciting position for an early to mid-career Accounting academic to join the Department where you will contribute to the Department’s teaching programs at both the undergraduate and post-graduate levels whilst also undertaking high-quality research and publishing in leading academic journals.
This is a full-time, level B (Lecturer) or level C (Senior Lecturer), continuing position, based at our Melbourne Burwood campus with salary in the range of AU$97,398-AU$136,559 p.a + 17% superannuation. Salary will be commensurate with qualifications, experience and your professional profile as can be evidenced by your track record in teaching and research. You may be required to travel from time to time to and from campuses to meet work requirements.
Appropriate relocation and/or immigration support will be offered to interstate/international candidates.
Your key responsibilities will include:
- teach programs offered by the Department at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels including supervision of students at honours and/or doctoral level
- produce high-quality research in journals of national and international standing including a contribution to the department’s research agenda and strong performance in Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA)
- partake in activities which enhance the profile and reputation of the Accounting discipline
- develop and maintain relationships with relevant research, community, industry, government and professional partners to establish collaborations and industry partnerships
To be successful, you’ll have:
- a PhD (or be working towards completion) in an area of relevance to Accounting
- commitment to quality teaching; experience teaching across multiple accounting units including but not limited to auditing, ethics and accounting information systems at both the undergraduate and postgraduate levels including supervision of honours and/or higher degree by research students
- a developing or established research profile on-track to publish in high quality journals
- evidence of success in obtaining competitive research funding
- existing relationships and an ability to foster engagement with external bodies to enhance the national and international standing of the discipline
- an ability to use business and educational software effectively
For more information or a copy of the position description, please see below:
Applications for this position close on 20 September 2019.
This role has been identified as having contact with children and requires the incumbent to apply for and maintain a ‘Working with Children Check’ (refer to Deakin’s Recruitment Procedure for further details).
Please ensure to include a cover letter, resume and responses to the Key Selection Criteria in your application.
For a confidential discussion regarding this position, please contact Professor George Tanewski, Acting Head, Department of Accounting on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are You Ready?
Deakin is one of the new breeds of global universities – agile, dynamic and innovative. We are committed to making a genuine difference in people’s lives through excellence in education and research. As a Victorian university with a global impact, join us and let’s see what we can achieve together.
Our people are important to us, and we understand the significance of providing them with a dynamic and diverse working environment, with opportunities to grow and develop their careers.
At Deakin, we offer a variety of benefits including a flexible and sustainable working environment, lifestyle benefits and various discounts with our third party suppliers.
We value diversity and aim to build an inclusive environment that champions, embraces and respects differences. We support and encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, and people of all abilities, cultures, sexual orientation, and genders.
We understand that our academic workforce is increasingly diverse, and we recognise academic careers may be placed on hold throughout many life circumstances. Achievement relative to opportunity places more emphasis on the quality, as opposed to the quantity of research outputs. In your application, we strongly encourage you to comment on your achievements relative to opportunity.