Director, Alumni Relations
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Stanford Graduate School of Business was founded in 1925 as a west coast alternative to eastern business schools. Now a top-ranked business school attracting high potential students from all over the world, the school continues to innovate and push the boundaries in research, curriculum development, and academic programs to remain at the forefront of management education. Our 30,000+ alumni also span the world and represent the graduates of our three degree granting programs, namely the MBA, MSx, Phd programs; and graduates of our signature flagship Executive Education program, the Stanford Executive Program.
The GSB alumni are exceedingly involved in the life of the school. In addition to creating and delivering a wide range of programs to all alumni, the Office of Alumni Relations manages the significant number of volunteers and works closely with school leaders whose areas depend on and benefit from the work of our alumni. Alumni contribute their time as leaders of the 60+ chapter network, admission interviewers, mentors to our current students, classroom speakers, and as organizers of their reunions among other roles. Nearly 3,000 alumni volunteered on behalf of Stanford GSB programs last year; 20% attended a Stanford GSB event on campus or in their local regions; and 40% of our MBA alumni made a gift to the GSB.
Reporting to the GSB Associate Dean for External Relations, the Director of Alumni Relations leads a team of twenty staff members and is responsible for the overall strategic planning, implementation and management of programs, communications and services focused on developing and enhancing long-term relationships with GSB alumni. Key engagement and service activities under the direction of the Office of Alumni Relations include reunions, the Stanford Business School Alumni Association, global alumni chapters and regional events, student/alumni programs, the Alumni Consulting Team, programs specifically focused on our women alumni and our alumni of color; and global communications. The Director is directly responsible for working with the Stanford Business School Alumni Association Board of Directors and leading their recruitment efforts. As we move forward and look to the 100th anniversary of the school’s founding, the Director will be expected to encourage and facilitate innovation in both content and delivery of alumni programs and services.
As a senior member of the Associate Dean for External Relations management team, which encompasses all GSB fundraising efforts as well as alumni relations efforts, the new Director will be expected to understand the importance of Development, Special Events, Communications and Marketing and Information Systems to the overall success of the External Relations’ and the school’s goals. A deep appreciation of the relationship between all areas of alumni engagement, including fundraising, is key. In addition, the Director will be expected to collaborate and interact with key volunteers, board members, school leaders, senior staff, and colleagues throughout the GSB and Stanford University.
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Responsibility for all operations within the Office of Alumni Relations, including assessing current and innovating future programs and activities, including communications, directed at alumni engagement and alumni professional education.
- In collaboration with the Associate Dean, play a key leadership role in working with other GSB departments that interact and engage alumni and volunteers to ensure a coordinated, integrated and strategic approach throughout the school.
- Collaborate with key colleagues throughout the GSB and the Stanford Alumni Association to ensure that we are fully leveraging resources to maximize alumni engagement with the school.
- Play a key role in the oversight and enhancement of volunteer involvement in various programs, with a particular emphasis on the work of the Stanford Business School Alumni Association Board of Directors.
- Manage a highly dedicated team including partnering in setting expectations and vision as we plan and implement alumni engagement in the 21st century.
- Ensure team members understand expectations and opportunities for working together across teams and departments within External Relations and within the school and university.
- Assume responsibility for special projects as needed or requested.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and eight years of relevant experience or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Increasingly responsible experience in alumni relations or a related field, preferably in a university setting.
- Proven record of accomplishment that demonstrates accountability, strategic thinking, initiative, creativity, managerial and interpersonal skills, and focus in a rapidly changing and intellectually stimulating environment.
- Well-developed leadership abilities and a willingness to take risks and solve problems creatively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage, organize, motivate, and delegate to others, including volunteers.
- Proven success in managing, mentoring and retaining an experienced professional staff
- · Demonstrated ability to build effective long-term relationships both internally and externally, and to clearly articulate and advocate for institutional goals.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the proven ability to collaborate, build team spirit, and achieve results.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of Stanford University and the Graduate School of Business a plus.
- Must be willing and able to travel domestically and abroad.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and familiarity with business education, alumni relations and trends in the industry.
In addition, our preferred requirements include:
Advanced degree a plus.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Job Code: 3487
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84279