Student Services Officer
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The Department of Management Science and Engineering, in the School of Engineering, leads at the interface of engineering, business, and public policy. The department’s mission is, through education and research, to advance the design, management, operation, and interaction of technological, economic, and social systems. MS&E website: https://msande.stanford.edu/
The Department of Management Science and Engineering seeks a Student Services Officer 1 to provide administrative and operational support to faculty, staff, and students in all aspects of student services, including graduate admission, course and room scheduling, and career and student-focused events. Reports to the Student Services Manager, and works with a team of student services professionals. Do you enjoy customer service, life-long learning, and a wide variety of daily responsibilities? Are you interested in a 75% position? Then this position may be the right fit for you!
- Advising applicants, prospective applicants, non-degree students, visitors, current undergraduate and graduate students, staff, and faculty via email, phone, and in-person, to explain departmental certificate programs, co-terminal and external master degree programs, and University policies and procedures.
- Advising and counseling current master of science students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, accessibility, community standards, etc., and guiding them to make appropriate choices and decisions.
- Providing first line response to identify students in crisis and refer to appropriate resources as needed.
- Collecting and analyzing data on master of science student course selection and degree progress, and advising manager and faculty on course offerings, course schedules, and other programmatic issues to enhance student performance and degree completion.
- Reviewing online application materials, and updating applicant information in central system, recommending co-terminal and external master degree decisions, and assisting in recruiting of admitted students.
- Identifying trends, performing needs analysis, and participating in the implementation and testing of new technology and systems. Reviewing and analyzing student services processes, and recommending improvements.
- Assisting with course and room scheduling as needed.
- Assisting with the administration, planning, and execution of orientation, admit visit day(s), course assistant training, departmental commencement ceremony, career-focused events, and student social events.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong customer service and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills including experience with Microsoft Office Suite, and ability to learn new computer applications.
- Office administration skills.
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Ability to learn compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
Why Stanford University is for you:
Stanford University, located between San Francisco and San Jose in the heart of California’s Silicon Valley, is one of the world’s leading teaching and research universities. Since its opening in 1891, Stanford has been dedicated to finding solutions to big challenges and to preparing students for leadership in a complex world.
Supporting that mission is a staff of more than 10,000 that is rooted in a culture of excellence and values innovation, collaboration, and life-long learning. To foster the talents and aspirations of our staff, Stanford offers career development programs, competitive pay that reflects market trends and benefits that increase financial stability to promote healthy and fulfilling lives. An award-winning employer, Stanford offers an exceptional setting for professionals looking to advance their careers.
How to apply:
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit both a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer services and provide examples of your related experience.
Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer and is committed to recruiting and hiring without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Thank you for your interest!
Job Code: 7501
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84285