Rector - Université de Montréal
The Université de Montréal is searching for candidates to fill the position of rector.
The Université de Montréal, with its two affiliated institutions (Polytechnique Montréal and HEC Montréal), is the largest university in Québec and is ranked third in Canada in terms of research, with more than 66,000 students from all over the world and 2,400 professors and researchers. More than 13,000 degrees are awarded each year. The Université de Montréal is one of the best universities in the world Francophone community.
The candidate will have experience as a compassionate, visionary, creative and inspiring leader throughout his or her career and accomplishments. He or she will possess solid experience in management and research. An excellent command of French is required for the position and a knowledge of other languages will be considered an asset given the international standing of the University.
He or she must be a leader who:
- knows how to communicate and listen, convince and be convinced, and can bring people together, is innovative and has proven moral authority;
- is willing to work with a strong leadership team ready to assist in the achievement of the academic mission, the vision and the management of general affairs;
- is recognized for his/her compassion, accessibility, resilience, open-mindedness, willingness to work as a team, and collaborative spirit;
- is committed to the development of a stimulating and enriching environment for all professors, lecturers, students and other University staff;
- has an excellent understanding of the major issues and new paradigms affecting universities, including digital, both domestically and internationally;
- has developed an important network of contacts over time, both internal and external to the University, and has a thorough knowledge of the inner workings of government, both in Quebec City and Ottawa;
- has proven management skills: integrity, credibility, change management, consensus management (mediation and consultation), listening to the community, managerial courage, decision-making skills and conflict resolution skills;
- has demonstrated skills in planning and implementing strategic initiatives;
- has a strong knowledge of the academic environment, culture and administration (organizational and financial);
- has a strong capacity to build collaborative relationships within the University, to promote and be sensitive to its diversity, and act as its ambassador around the world, and at various levels of government in Canada, Quebec and university partners;
- has an understanding of the issues inherent in philanthropy and is committed to dedicating a significant portion of time to fundraising, and building relationships with graduates and donors.
The term is for five (5) years (renewable).
Interested candidates can send their curriculum vitae with a letter of intent to Mr. Claude Martel at email@example.com by September 3, 2019.
In compliance with Canadian immigration requirements, priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents. The Université de Montréal upholds the principles of employment equity with regard to women, visible minorities, aboriginals and people with disabilities.