Postdoctoral Fellow, Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics
Classification: Academic Level A
Salary package: $73,309 - $92,015 per annum plus 17% superannuation
Term: Full or Part - time, Continuing (Contingent Funded, 2.5 years)
- Work with a world-leading planar chalcogenide waveguide group.
- Develop core technologies for detecting forming exoplanets, and eventually searching for signs of life.
- Refine and develop a wide range of skills in fields including photolithography, laboratory characterisation and astronomical instrumentation design.
The ANU College of Science (CoS) comprises: the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics, the Research School of Biology, the Research School of Chemistry, the Research School of Earth Science, the Fenner School of Environment and Society, the Mathematical Sciences Institute, the Research School of Physics, and the Centre for the Public Awareness of Science. Staff and students within the ANU College of Science conduct research and delivers a research-led education program that encompasses the entire breadth of the sciences, supported by extensive international networks and by world-class facilities. The College has a strong tradition of research excellence that has fostered distinguished Nobel Laureates and Kyoto Prize winners and that trains scientific leaders in disciplines in which the ANU is consistently ranked in the top twenty in the world.
The successful applicant will develop planar beam combining chips designed for mid-infrared wavelengths (primarily 4 microns, but throughout the 2-13 micron range), with the end goal of prototyping a 4-beam kernel-nulling beam combiner for use with the Very Large Telescope Interferometer (following Martinache and Ireland, A&A, 619, 87). This includes modelling in RSoft, photomask design, and laboratory characterisation using microscopy, interferometry and chip injection from a simulated telescope.
The position is based both at the Research School of Astronomy and Astrophysics at Mt Stromlo Observatory, and the Research School of Physics at the main ANU campus. You will participate in the supervision of students, and work in a small team environment in both research schools.
For more information about this position please contact Associate Professor Michael Ireland, E: email@example.com or
T: 02 6125 0288.
Closing date: 8 September 2019
Position description: Academic Level A_Postdoctoral Fellow PD
ANU values diversity and inclusion and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to those of all backgrounds and identities. For more information about staff equity at ANU, visit https://services.anu.edu.au/human-resources/respect-inclusion
In order to apply for this role please make sure that you upload the following documents:
- A statement addressing the selection criteria.
- A current curriculum vitae (CV) which includes the names and contact details of at least three referees (preferably including a current or previous supervisor). If your CV does not include referees you can complete these online when prompted in the application form.
- Other documents, if required.
Applications which do not address the selection criteria may not be considered for the position.