Associate Director, Research Fellows Program
Stanford Graduate School of Business
Residing in Silicon Valley, the heart of innovation, Stanford GSB has built a global reputation based on its immersive and innovative management programs. We provide students a transformative leadership experience, push the boundaries of knowledge with faculty research, and offer a portfolio of entrepreneurial and non-degree programs that deliver global impact like no other. We strive to change lives, change organizations, and change the world.
The Stanford GSB Research Fellows Program is a fellowship program designed for individuals wanting to gain valuable training and experience toward a career in academic research before applying to a PhD program. Fellows come to Stanford and work closely with faculty on research, take classes, and fully engage in the intellectual community. One objective of the program is to increase the diversity pipeline to doctoral programs.
The Associate Director (AD) plays a key role in the success of the Research Fellows Program. The AD serves as a key contact for prospects, current fellows, and faculty. Oversees the program’s outreach, marketing, admissions, website and intranet. Directs the program’s administration and operations including registration, financial aid, and all related systems. Advises, counsels, and supports fellows throughout their program. Implements programming including community building events, weekly research workshops, training bootcamps, among other.
The Research Fellows Program is housed in the Stanford GSB PhD Program. Reporting to the Executive Director of the PhD Program, the Associate Director will also manage the administration of the Visiting Student Researchers program, the IDDEAS program, and provide support for other PhD program activities and programming. Other duties as required.
Experience working effectively with faculty and students highly preferred. This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a strong interest in or experience with diversity initiatives.
Administer, implement, and interpret university and department policies and procedures on issues regarding admission, financial aid, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Identify, clarify, and resolve highly visible or complex issues with substantial significance and impact that may span multiple areas, using expert technical and professional knowledge requiring independent judgment.
Note: Not all unique aspects of the job are covered by this job description
Your primary responsibilities include:
- Manage an area or program in student services, analyze effectiveness, and make final decisions on program eligibility.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Develop and implement programming, make strategic recommendations for future programs.
- Evaluate and determine recommendations on technology resources, negotiate with resources options and vendors.
- Analyze and develop report requirements, portals, and student facing communications.
- Manage outreach programs, relationships with external community and university liaisons.
- Engage in critical analysis of student and program concerns to resolve substantial issues which may span multiple areas, using advanced technical and professional knowledge.
- Provide direct advice to students on a range of issues including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Interpret and implement university policy related to academic policies; oversee the implementation of policies and practices for a student population or school.
- Manage financial processes
- Oversee key processes, including contribution and direction on policy and program content.
- Provide consulting advice to internal and external organizations; act as subject matter expert in a specialized field.
- Be flexible to completing any other additional assigned duties.
- To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor's degree and five years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Independent, professional, employs tact and diplomacy in all interactions.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills to clearly and effectively communicate information to internal and external audiences, including faculty, prospects, fellows, and all levels of management.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills to review and analyze complex information.
- Advanced computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Advanced customer service skills.
- Ability to ensure and apply compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Frequently sit, perform desk-based computer tasks.
- Occasionally stand, walk, twist, use fine manipulation, grasp, use a telephone, write by hand, sort and file paperwork, lift, carry, push, and pull objects that weigh up to 10 pounds.
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Stanford’s dedicated 16,000 staff come from diverse educational and career backgrounds. We are a collaborative environment that thrives on innovation and continuous improvement. At Stanford, we seek talent committed to excellence, driven to impact the future of our legacy, and improve lives on a global sphere. We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our generous perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a Ted Talk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and care giving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Visit campus gardens, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ride sharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computers, cell phones, recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
- We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application.
Job Code: 7503
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84241