Linux Systems Administrator
Bargaining Unit: None - Not included in the union (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Administration & Operations
Compensation Grade Profile: Supervisor; Senior Associate (P5)
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 150 Munson Street New Haven, CT 06511
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Computing and Information Systems
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
Work as a Linux administrator in ITS Systems Administration. Provide support in Linux server administration, for mission-critical services in a dynamic, 24/7 production data center environment. Operate as a contributor to departmental planning and long-range technical development. Work as part of a team of system administrators to ensure performance, reliability and security on Linux systems in a dynamic 24-7-365 production data center environment. Prepare documentation (procedural, planning, informational), to support Systems Administration. Work closely with technical owners of applications to plan, deploy, and troubleshoot new or upgraded functions. Provide performance tuning, capacity planning, disaster recovery planning, and automation guidance for systems and applications. Participate in cross-functional technical projects that require the Linux Server platform as a component of the solution. Perform off-shift work and participate in rotating on-call coverage.
- Provides technical expertise in resolving user system deficiencies and determines appropriate action.
- Provides system services and analyze system performance for stakeholders and intended end users. Performs all activities necessary to activate a new operating system or new release of an existing system, including analysis, design, implementation, and related documentation. Analyzes systems performance and modifies programs to increase the efficiency of the operation. Reinstates integrity of system as quickly as possible following an outage in order to minimize item and data loss.
- Recommends and authorizes system upgrades and software installations.
- Designs, develops and implements new system tools.
- Analyzes execution time of commonly used instruction to identify and replaces those that are inefficient or slow to operation.
- Analyzes, evaluates and takes steps to circumvent problems and restores systems to operating condition.
- Contributes in the determination of specifications and determines the combination of options needed to tailor an operating system to meet the business needs. Conducts training and user education. Researches new technologies, processes, and methodologies. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and a minimum of two years of related work experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated skill at troubleshooting and resolving problems on complex Linux systems.
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Demonstrated ability to work on complex projects both independently and as the team lead.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to develop and document complex procedures.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Proven customer service skills. Demonstrated analytical and creative problem-solving skills.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Excellent communication and organizational skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience working with enterprise monitoring solutions, Red Hat Linux is highly preferred, configuration management & automation technologies, load balancing technologies, preferably F5, VMWare virtualization platform, automating building and deploying of Linux servers using modern tools such as Docker &Vagrant; cloud hosted, IaaS environments like: AWS, Azure or Vcloud Air.
Preferred Licenses or Certifications:
RHCSA or vendor certification in a product or technology in use by the group.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus