Senior Administrative Assistant
University Job Title: Sr Administrative Assistant, Faculty Support
Bargaining Unit: L34 - Local 34 (Yale Union Group)
Time Type: Full time
Duration Type: Regular
Compensation Grade: Labor Grade D
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 10 Hillhouse Avenue New Haven, CT 06511
Work Week: Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Searchable Job Family: Secretarial
Total # of hours to be worked: 37.5
This position is primarily focused on the departmental hires and faculty promotions, leaves, on boarding and off boarding, secondary appointments which includes all faculty appointment related life cycle systems. This position will be responsible for all departmental website maintenance, design and editing working closely with the faculty member responsible for oversight of the website.
Click here for more information /
- Serves as the principal source of information regarding policies and procedures related to faculty appointments.
- Receives and reviews forms related to faculty administrative transactions for errors and omissions. Identifies and researches unclear transactions without supervision and guidance. Independently contacts departments to resolve issues and provides coaching on University policies and procedures to ensure future compliance.
- Inputs data into databases and runs reports to verify accuracy and integrity of data.
- Ensures timely reviews for reappointments and promotions by establishing reasonable schedules.
- Reviews promotion materials from assigned departments and schools to ensure compliance.
- Coordinates the electronic and secure distribution of appointment and promotion documents to appropriate committee members.
- Independently responds to, screens, and triages requests and resolves or triages questions regarding faculty searches for applicants and reference letter writers.
- Reviews information gathered for faculty searches by the search committee.
- Maintains contact lists for use by various University departments for important e-mailings and access to secure systems.
- Serves as member of support teams and provides back-up for other support staff.
- Maintains records as required by Yale or government policy.
- Processes additional appointments as needed.
- May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Six years of related work experience, four of them in the same job family at the next lower level, and a high school level education; or four years of related work experience and an Associate's Degree; or little or no work experience and a Bachelor's Degree in a related field; or an equivalent combination of education and related experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1:
Demonstrated ability working with various institutional systems, including Interfolio (faculty appointments), Workday (faculty appointments, hiring and expense reporting), and Drupal (website maintenance and design).
Required Skill/Ability 2:
Excellent interpersonal skills. Proven ability to work independently and as a team. Excellent attendance, punctuality and reliability, as attested by references.
Required Skill/Ability 3:
Demonstrated ability to provide support in an administrative capacity, including processing expense reports. Intermediate proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Ability and willingness to learn new processes and systems. Strong verbal and written communication skills.
Required Skill/Ability 4:
Highly developed and demonstrated customer service skills in support of faculty, visitors, staff and students. Ability to represent departments and University professionally; ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality in handling sensitive information.
Required Skill/Ability 5:
Demonstrated ability to multitask, prioritize, meet deadlines and work effectively with competing deadlines, interruptions and time constraints. Excellent organizational skills, accuracy, and attention to detail.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills:
Experience with Yale University's databases, policies and procedures.
Weekend Hours Required?
Evening Hours Required?
Background Check Requirements
All candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle, DOT certification, drug testing and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent upon the successful completion of the background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Affirmative Action Statement:
Yale University considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, an individual’s sex, race, color, religion, age, disability, status as a veteran, or national or ethnic origin; nor does Yale discriminate on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression. Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 protects people from sex discrimination in educational programs and activities at institutions that receive federal financial assistance. Questions regarding Title IX may be referred to the University’s Title IX Coordinator, at TitleIX@yale.edu, or to the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights, 8th Floor, Five Post Office Square, Boston MA 02109-3921. Telephone: 617.289.0111, Fax: 617.289.0150, TDD: 800.877.8339, or Email: email@example.com.
Yale University is a tobacco-free campus