Tenure-Track Assistant Professor in Photography
Faculty of Arts and Sciences
Art, Film, and Visual Studies
The Department of Art, Film, and Visual Studies at Harvard University seeks to appoint a tenure-track assistant professor of art practice specializing in photography. The appointment is expected to begin July 1, 2020. The appointed candidate will be responsible for teaching three to four studio courses a year.
Candidates will be expected to participate fully in curricular developments and in all aspects of the life of an art department within a liberal arts institution. Candidates must have a substantial record of accomplishment in the field, as demonstrated by museum/gallery exhibitions or presentations in other venues relevant to the candidate’s practice. An MFA or the equivalent must be completed by the beginning of the appointment. Teaching experience at the college or university level is required.
An MFA or five years of college or university teaching must be completed by the beginning of the appointment.
Teaching experience at the college or university level is preferred.
Please submit the following materials through the ARIeS portal (https://academicpositions.harvard.edu) Candidates are encouraged to apply by October 31, 2019; applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
- Cover letter
- Curriculum vitae
- Teaching statement (describing teaching approach and philosophy, and outlining past, current, and anticipated efforts to encourage diversity and inclusion)
- Artist’s statement
- The names and contact information of 3 referees, who will be asked by a system-generated email to upload a letter of recommendation once the candidate’s application has been submitted. The application is considered complete only when at least three letters have been received.
- Three course syllabi of the candidate’s design, with samples of student work when possible
- PDF with images of 15-20 representative artworks with titles, dates, materials, and other explanatory information as needed and a link to a website (Vimeo preferred) where samples of the applicant’s moving-image work may be viewed (no more than 15 min. total)
- Other appropriate support materials, including exhibition catalogues
Professor and Chair of Search Committee
Department of Art, Film, and Visual Studies
Faculty of Arts and Sciences, Harvard University
24 Quincy Street Cambridge, MA 02138
firstname.lastname@example.org (use “photography search” in subject line)
Equal Opportunity Employer
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions or any other characteristic protected by law.