Deputy Head of School, Humanities
6 days left
- Full Time
Application closing date 30/08/2019
Faculty / School or Service Faculty of Arts & Humanities
Salary £50,141-£62,558 per annum
Package As one of Coventry's biggest employers, we offer some pretty impressive benefits including an excellent pension scheme and generous holiday allowances
Job category/type Academic
Working in the School of Humanities, you will be committed to contributing to our continued success in delivery of a range of programmes. You will join the School with the best Student Experience metrics across the University Group for overall satisfaction.
The Deputy Head of School role provides the opportunity for a talented and ambitious academic who wishes to continue their academic development and research while acquiring managerial experience and skills.
The Deputy Head post embraces two distinct aspects; a managerial element and a substantive academic position at the Associate Professor level. Our intention is that you should contribute significantly in both capacities and develop your potential for advancement within the university. Whilst this is a permanent appointment to the substantive position, tenure to the Deputy Head of School element will be for a secondment of up to 4 years.
Your key tasks will be to:
- Work closely with the Head of School to drive forward the School's contribution to the University's Corporate Strategy, assuming lead responsibility for the day-to-day operational requirements of the School. This will involve allocating and monitoring workloads, ensuring the use of resources is optimised and that School priorities are met
- Support the Head in representing the School internally and externally and implement policies and procedures at School level, working collaboratively with Associate Heads in furtherance of the Corporate Strategy objectives. Participate in and chair Boards of Studies, engaging with other relevant boards and committees where appropriate
- Support the development and building of a national and international profile for the School and its subjects, furthering growth whilst enhancing the quality of provision
- Liaise closely with the Associate Heads within the School in the development of pedagogic practices which optimise course delivery and ensure their portfolio objectives are understood and applied effectively throughout the School
- Ensure School staff receive the training and development and experience exposure they need to enhance their contribution and fulfil their development and aspirations. Line manage staff, as assigned, managing their performance and participating in their appointment
- Play a leading role in optimising professional accreditation across the provision and work with Associate Deans and others to develop the quality and range of the course offering
- Liaise with other Schools and Research Centres within the Faculty to ensure reliable, cost effective service provision which meets expectations, including those of external partners
You will need a PhD plus experience in a relevant subject area (or an equivalent level of professional experience alongside a postgraduate qualification in a relevant subject) coupled with a track record of academic excellence, along with evidence of delivering an innovative, student-centred curriculum.
As well as a tailored development programme, we offer a comprehensive benefit package and will consider assistance for those wishing to relocate to the Coventry area.