Information Technolgy Business Analyst
Do you have experience working with business partners and technical team members to design, document, deploy, and support new functionality? We are looking for you! We need someone who can coordinate & communicate with diverse business partners, understand & elicit business problems, suggest & design solutions, document requirements, and work with our technical team to build an outstanding product.
Join Stanford’s research administration systems team and help us build applications supporting research at a prominent institution. We need a skilled IT business analyst to improve and maintain a complex, homegrown application which supports research at Stanford. If you are resilient, flexible, highly-motivated, able to solve complex problems, and want to be a part of a phenomenal community, then this may be the right opportunity for you.
This role is part of the SeRA (Stanford electronic Research Administration) Applications Team within University Information Technology (UIT) at Stanford. We are responsible for the support, maintenance, and improvement of a complex, custom-built application with numerous external system integrations facilitating research administration for the university. The application is used by all faculty and many central office groups to manage the research lifecycle.
- Represent with our business partners during daily activities within an Agile scrum team framework
- Understand, synthesize, and analyze business processes, problems, and solutions using a rich variety of methods (e.g. interviews, document analysis, requirements workshops, surveys, data analysis, etc.)
- Design solutions to address complex business problems while balancing business needs, usability, system consistency, simplicity, and maintainability
- Elicit and document user stories and detailed technical system requirements with supporting documentation (e.g. mock-ups, prototypes, process maps, detailed requirements, etc.)
- Facilitate & obtain consensus on the solution design from both the business & technical teams
- Work closely and liaise with both the business and technical team to clarify business needs and solutions throughout the implementation process
- Provide demos, facilitate user acceptance testing, and obtain business partner approval of newly developed functionality
- Be a product champion for SeRA, working to continually improve the system and improve the research process at Stanford
Your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience working with and supporting complex, enterprise level business systems with complex workflow and business rules
- Excellent problem solving and analytical thinking skills with the ability to approach problems logically and systematically
- Passion for working with end users to understand their needs and improve their end-user experience
- Strong User Interface design skills and experience crafting effective system solutions
- Self-motivated and takes personal initiative to achieve goals beyond what is required
- Able to work on multiple initiatives at a time with an ability to manage and prioritize work
- Organized with a dedication to detail and accuracy
- Excellent written & verbal communication, active listening, problem-solving, conflict/resolution management, and interpersonal skills
- Works effectively with others as a team-player with an energetic attitude and the ability to communicate with both business and technical partners
- Strong understanding of the software development lifecycle with experience and background using Agile Scrum methodology
- Knowledge various principles, tools, & techniques to elicit, document, & communicate business and system processes and requirements
- A solid grasp of technical problems, capabilities, and solutions especially around database applications
Your Education & Experience:
- Bachelor's degree and five years experience or a combination of education and experience.
- Certification as a Scrum Alliance Certified Scrum Product Owner or IIBA Business Analyst or willingness to pursue (preferred)
- Background in Higher Education helpful
Why Stanford is for You:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or ability to audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts, and more.
- Redwood City. Our new Stanford Redwood City campus, opened in Spring 2019, is the workplace for approximately 2,700 staff, including University IT, whose jobs are important to supporting the University’s mission. The campus offers amenities such as onsite cafes and a dining pavilion, a high-end fitness facility with an outdoor pool, and a childcare center for Stanford families.
How to Apply
Please note we are not able to provide sponsorship or relocation for this position.
Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
We invite you to apply for this role by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter along with your online application.
Stanford is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Job Code: 4772
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84210