Closing date 31 Aug 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary AED 163,195–AED 200,521
Department Professional Services Dubai
Status Full Time
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The role holder will be providing executive, project management and administrative support to the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group
You will be a highly effective individual with a proven record of delivery, having provided a wide range of support at senior management level in your career to date. As the first point of contact for the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group University the key focus of the role will be to maximise the effectiveness of the office of the Secretary of the University across all interactions, internally and externally.
Successful delivery in this role will be achieved by a structured and strategic approach, acute prioritisation. The ability to build open and effective relationships, all combined with first rate communication skills.
The key responsibilities are:
- Board and senior management level liaison
- Production of reports and reviews
- Production of presentations and speeches
- Briefing and preparing the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group for daily activities/tasks including preparation of meeting papers
- Autonomous management of email with both internal and external stakeholders
- Diary management and “gatekeeping” of enquiries
The successful candidate will assist with project management in key areas, liaising directly with a diverse and complex range of stakeholders throughout the process. In addition to this the successful candidate will demonstrate the highest possible levels of flexibility and attention to detail.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- To provide a full range of confidential administrative and project management support to the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group.
- Where appropriate, and with delegated authority, to act on behalf of the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group.
- Proactively and independently manage complex projects, often involving multiple stakeholders with conflicting priorities, using judgement and discretion. This is likely to involve convening project teams for some projects, delivering to strict deadlines and constantly moving requirements within an agreed budget.
- Follow up actions for the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group, many on an ad hoc basis, dealing with urgent actions, and serving as the primary information source for on-going projects. This requires the post-holder to be aware of University priorities and pressures, and be sensitive to the strategic direction of the University.
- Ensure that the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group is prepared for all meetings with the correct paperwork, data and background information to make informed decisions.
- To carry out of background research and analysis, presenting data documentation and creating presentations and speeches are required.
- Production of reports and reviews.
- To undertake secretarial and administrate office functions devising and maintaining office systems, data management and related processes to a high level of efficiency. This element of the role will include organising and attending meetings with the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group, producing minutes, administering and supporting governance processes and liaising with internal and external stakeholders.
- To manage conflicting priorities of equal importance using their judgement and negotiating skills.
- To draft letters and manage emails on behalf of the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group. Ensuring that emails are prioritised and managed accordingly.
- To organise and maintain the Provost of Dubai Campus and the Senior Executive Group's diary and make appointments including arranging any business travel and accommodation that may be required.
- To maintain effective links with Heads of Professional Services, Schools, Institutes and other stakeholders including setting regular one to one meetings with all direct reports.
- To continuously review, develop, adapt and maintain all procedures and duties specific to the role ensuring that they are fit for purpose.
- To undertake other specific and/or related tasks and administrative roles and duties as required supporting the functions of the Principals office.
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the role holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Degree or equivalent in Business Administration
- Substantial relevant experience and success in similar work in administration at a high level in a complex environment
- Good IT skills with the ability to learn new applications and work with databases, report generators, Microsoft Office suites and related software
- Significant and proven experience of relationship building with a variety of stakeholder groups and audiences
- Project management experience
- Strategic thinker
- First-rate written and verbal communication skill
- Able to priorities across a huge and complex agenda
- Able to provide constructive advice, analyse and interpret complex and or specialist issues and translate these into efficient management summaries
- Able to track devolved work and maintain schedules, secure outcomes and organise events meetings
- Post graduate degree or relevant CPD in a related area
- PRINCE2 or equivalent
- Knowledge of University processes and regulations
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 31 Aug 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
The appointment is conditional upon successful completion of all Labour and Immigration formalities, and the start date will need to be delayed if the employment visa is not in place.