Lecturer/Senior Lecturer, Sensory Science
Work type: Continuing
Division/Faculty: Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences
Department/School: School of Agriculture and Food
Salary: $102,967 - $122,268 (Level B)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 17% super
About the role
The Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Sensory Science will be responsible for independent teaching and research in the Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences (FVAS) food research and science related disciplines, and to assist in expanding the capacity of the disciplines for the Faculty and University.
The field of sensory science has grown exponentially over the last decade and plays an important role in the food industry’s understanding of food preferences both domestically and internationally. Federal and State Governments are committed to supporting increased research and training activities in food and nutrition, through partnerships with industry and government, as well as strategic university investment. The Faculty is committed to developing research capability in the area of food science through the appointment of a dynamic Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in Sensory Science.
The Victorian-based food industry is keen to work with the University, providing exciting opportunities for collaborative research. This role will be expected to foster links with the food industry and to lead a sensory science research program, linking in with other related activities in the Faculty, the University and external community. There are excellent opportunities for collaboration with the faculties of Science, and Medicine, Dentistry and Health Science.
There is growing interest in sensory science among students at the University of Melbourne, both at undergraduate and postgraduate degree levels. The incumbent will make innovative and valuable contributions to teaching; supervise honours, postgraduate coursework and research higher degree students; and enjoy the opportunity to contribute to an exciting industry and interact with a student audience numbering into the thousands annually.
This role is primarily located at the Parkville campus of the University however, as the Faculty of Veterinary and Agricultural Sciences is located over multiple campuses, staff may be required to travel between campuses as required.
- A PhD, or equivalent, awarded in sensory science, or related disciplines such as food science, food chemistry, food technology or meat or dairy science.
- Demonstrated ability to undertake independent original research, delivering against research objectives evidenced by a record of peer-reviewed publications and journal articles, book chapters, conference papers as well as oral and written presentations to industry and lay audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and deliver innovative and exciting teaching in sensory science to students of all levels and backgrounds under a variety of settings as well as the ability to coordinate an award program within the discipline.
- Demonstrated ability to attract and sustain teaching and research grants from national competitive schemes such as the Australian Research Council (ARC).
- Demonstrated capacity to provide academic mentoring, counselling and consultation to students and/or more junior staff.
In addition to the above, to be appointed to a Level C, Senior Lecturer:
- Recognition as being influential in a relevant discipline, evidenced by a strong record of original, innovative independent and distinguished contributions in peer reviewed journals, book chapters, conference papers and presentations.
- A successful record of securing competitive research grants and/or industry funding and directing research programs.
- A national and influential reputation in leading research innovation and fostering research collaboration with researchers from other organisations as part of multi-disciplinary teams.
To ensure the University provides a safe environment for children, this position requires the incumbent to hold a current and valid Working with Children Check.
For information to assist you with compiling short statements to answer the selection criteria, please go to:
Applications close: 02 Sep 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time
More searches like this
- Permanent Agriculture, Food & Forestry Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Parkville
- Permanent Physical Sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Parkville
- Permanent Life sciences Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Parkville
- Permanent Chemistry Lecturers / Assistant Professors jobs in Parkville