Research Fellow in Energy and Transport Systems
Work type: Fixed Term
Division/Faculty: Melbourne School of Engineering
Department/School: School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering
Salary: $72,083 - $97,812 (Level A)
Role & Superannuation rate: Academic - Full time - 9.5% super
About University of Melbourne
The University of Melbourne is consistently ranked among the leading universities in the world, at number 1 in Australia and number 32 in the world (Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2017-2018). We are globally engaged, comprehensive, research-intensive and committed to responding to the major challenges of our time.
About Melbourne School of Engineering (MSE)
Working at MSE is exciting and fast moving. We are working hard to transform engineering and IT research and teaching, guided by MSE 2025, our ten-year strategic plan. With an expected investment of $1 billion in people and infrastructure, we are creating the entrepreneurial leaders and technology of the future.
About the School of Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering (EMI)
We encompass the Electrical, Mechanical and Infrastructure Engineering Departments, recognising that engineered systems of present and future significance increasingly have connections to all three.
We are the oldest engineering school in Australia – initially founded in 1861 – and have evolved into a vibrant community of internationally recognised researchers focused on addressing major challenges of today and into the future.
You will be engaged by The Melbourne Energy Institute (MEI), an institute of the University which undertakes inter-disciplinary research on the challenges of transitioning towards a low carbon energy system. We work with the community, industry and government on some of the world's most pressing energy challenges.
Your role will involve close engagement with industry and government. We currently have strong partnerships with leading companies such as AusNet Services, AEMO, Ford and Mitsubishi, to name a few. We also work closely with Commonwealth and State Governments and the energy market agencies. In all cases, MEI strives to undertake high quality research that tangibly benefits our industry and government partners.
In this two-year Research Fellow appointment, you will undertake modelling of different energy and transport systems.
Potential projects could include:
- aspects of the planning and operations of wholesale electricity markets, including studies of renewable integration and flexible loads;
- the deployment of different distributed energy resources into distribution networks;
- the operational and lifecycle performance of different vehicles.
Ideally you will be a recent PhD graduate with strength in modelling energy or transport systems. A deep physical understanding of system dynamics is required, as is the ability to explain system performance using technical, economic and environmental metrics.
You will be able to demonstrate:
- Experience in the numerical modelling of energy and/or transport systems.
- A PhD degree in Economics, Econometrics, Engineering, Finance or Science.
- Very strong written and oral communication skills.
- A record of quality research as evidenced by publications in leading journals and at conferences commensurate with opportunity.
- Ability to perform independent research and a commitment to interdisciplinary research;
- Demonstrated capacity to communicate research concepts to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
Additionally, experience in the following are also highly desired (but not essential)
- numerical optimization.
- coordinating code-development within a team.
- supervision of students and/or research assistants.
What we offer you
We offer flexibility, whatever that may mean for you. Many of our benefit programs and onsite amenities are aimed at supporting you - including generous leave, child care subsidies, discounted parking, medical and health care. We offer extensive opportunities for personal and professional development and we’ll support you in doing what you love.
If you’re curious, motivated and ready to undertake a challenging and rewarding role we’re ready to meet you.
How to Apply
Apply online, complete the application and upload your Cover Letter and Resume.
While we review your application, get to know us by visiting http://www.eng.unimelb.edu.au/about/join-mse/why-join-mse
Applications close: 30 Aug 2019 11:55 PM AUS Eastern Standard Time
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Economics & Econometrics Research Fellowships jobs in Parkville
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Research Fellowships jobs in Parkville
- Fixed Term Business & Economics Research Fellowships jobs in Parkville
- Fixed Term General Engineering Research Fellowships jobs in Parkville
- Fixed Term Accounting & Finance Research Fellowships jobs in Parkville