Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department of Molecular Sciences
- Salary Package: From Level A, Step 6 $91,991 to step 8 $98,588 p.a., plus 9.5% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
- Appointment Type: 12 month fixed term, full-time
- Macquarie University (North Ryde) location
With the Department of Molecular Sciences, a research team led by Microbial Screening Technology, in partnership with Dr Fei Liu, Dr Andrew Piggott and Prof. Peter Karuso (Molecular Sciences, Macquarie University), has secured a three-year CRC-P project from the Department of Industry, Innovation and Science. The project seeks to develop a new microbial solution to pest control for the cattle industry in northern Australia.
The Department is seeking a postdoctoral research fellow to work with the team (Dr Fei Liu, Dr Andrew Piggott and Prof. Peter Karuso) conducting research in the synthesis of bioactive organic compounds for the CRC-P.
The successful candidate will:
- Develop synthetic methods for targeted compounds
- Synthesise, purify, and characterise organic compounds with stereocenters for biological testing according to milestone requirements
- Work and coordinate with a multidisciplinary team of research fellows and research assistants to achieve project objectives and milestones
- Prepare papers for presentation and publication
The successful candidate will be PhD qualified in Synthetic Organic Chemistry with a strong track record in leading original research and synthetic method development and experience working under inert atmosphere/sensitive conditions using Schlenk techniques and vacuum appartatus. Your strong communication skills, along with your demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a team environment, effectively supervise research assistants/students and ensure a safe work environment, will enable you to succeed in this role.
You will have a good understanding of project management in a research context and have a strong track record of working effectively with industry partners to meet project milestones.
The Department of Molecular Sciences in the Faculty of Science and Engineering is a research-intensive department of academics and students who study and teach chemistry and molecular cell sciences. The focus of our academics is at the exciting molecular science interfaces with chemistry, biology and materials. Our students gain cross-disciplinary perspectives while developing discipline specific skills in chemistry and biomolecular science. We apply this philosophy of studying “molecules to cells” to achieve a sustainable environment, understand health and disease, develop materials and advance new molecular technologies. Research and teaching strength in molecular science includes analytical chemistry, biochemistry, biotechnology, cellular biology, medicinal chemistry, microbiology, molecular biology and genomics, synthetic biology, organic/inorganic synthesis, proteomics, protein chemistry, physical chemistry. Click here to find out more about the Department of Molecular Sciences.
Macquarie is a university engaged with the real and often complex problems and opportunities that define our lives. Since our foundation 54 years ago, we have aspired to be a different type of university. Over the years, we’ve grown to become the centre of a vibrant local and global community. Connect with us today.
To be considered for this position, please apply online by submitting your cv and a separate cover letter that demonstrates how you meet the following selection criteria:
- PhD degree in Synthetic Organic Chemistry (or equivalent) and demonstrated skills in organic synthesis, compound purification, advanced NMR spectroscopy and characterisation of complex molecules with stereochemistry
- Extensive experience with synthetic method development with significant postdoctoral research in complex organic synthesis including working under inert atmosphere using Schlenk techniques and vacuum apparatus
- Experience in natural product chemistry
- Proven research ability including a track record of publication/s
- Experience in working with industry partners and achieving milestones on industry projects
- Demonstrated experience ensuring a safe work environment including the safe handling of pyrophoric and toxic reagents under inert atmosphere
- Demonstrated ability to supervise research assistants and/or students to achieve research objectives/milestones and promote team working
- Experience in independently setting up a synthetic laboratory equipped to accommodate air and moisture sensitive reactions, as well as high throughput synthesis and purification.
- Experience in diversity-oriented and targeted synthesis
- Demonstrated experience in method development using a wide range of organic/organometallic reagents for complex synthesis
- Understanding of basic biological chemistry/chemical biology
Specific Role Enquiries: Dr Fei Liu via e-mail email@example.com or phone +61 2 9850 8312
General Recruitment Enquiries: Anne Kumanan, HR Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications Close: Friday 30th August 2019 at 11:55 pm
Macquarie University is committed to Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. We value individual difference and recognise the strength of a vibrant, diverse and inclusive workforce where the backgrounds, perspectives and experiences of our staff are a driving force for collaboration, innovation and impact.
We work to ensure genuine equality of opportunity for people regardless of their gender, age, cultural background, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and/or family status, and we encourage you to apply for a position at Macquarie University.