Chemistry Instructor 1
SPS Instructor 1
Job Code: 4211
FTE: 100%, Exempt
Stanford Pre-Collegiate Studies
The Stanford Online High School (OHS) is an accredited, diploma-granting independent school, situated within Stanford University, serving students in grades 7-12. The OHS brings together academically talented and motivated students from around the world into a vibrant intellectual community with teachers who are passionate about their disciplines, accomplished in their fields, and above all, dedicated to teaching. In the live discussion seminar, a cornerstone of the OHS education, students and teachers engage in a rigorous academic program that develops the critical reasoning and argumentation skills essential for success at the collegiate level and beyond. Beyond the classroom, students and instructors continue to collaborate in a dynamic school community, centered on student clubs, activities, competitions, and student publications. The Stanford OHS offices are located on the university’s Redwood City campus.
Stanford OHS seeks a Chemistry Instructor 1 to primarily teach high school-level general chemistry. You will meet online with each section of students twice a week throughout the academic year on a college-style schedule to engage in discussion of the course material. You will be encouraged to bring your advanced subject-level expertise to the class, challenging students in ways not typically found in high school. In addition to working with students in and outside of the classroom, you will engage regularly with peers within your academic division to consider curriculum and pedagogy, as well as collaborate with instructors and staff throughout the school.
Your responsibilities include:
- Prepare for class, lead synchronous online discussion sections, hold office hours, and assist students in using course materials.
- Monitor student progress, give feedback, grade assessments, and discuss performance with students, parents, Division Head, counseling staff, and administrative staff.
- Assist with development and revision of curricula.
- Develop and teach residential summer courses.
- Serve as advisor to student clubs and activities and participate in OHS community events.
- Serve on committees within OHS.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Master's degree (or equivalent course work) in chemistry or related discipline. Ph.D. in chemistry or related discipline strongly preferred.
- At least one year experience teaching at the high school or college level, or equivalent.
- Eligibility to work in the U.S. (Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.)
- Facility with teaching traditional and online courses.
- Proficiency using computer applications.
Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
How to Apply
To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume or CV along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your teaching philosophy and your interest in teaching at Stanford OHS. Applications will be reviewed on an ongoing basis until the position is filled.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4211
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F