PhD Position in Translational Systemics (TRANSYS)
15 PHD POSITIONS TRANSLATIONAL SYSTEMICS (TRANSYS)
TranSYS, coordinated by Prof. K Van Steen (KU Leuven), will recruit 15 ESRs (Early Stage Researchers) to highly skilled jobs in the new area of Systems Health developing tools and approaches to exploit large and complex datasets, to advance Precision (Personalised) Medicine in several disease areas. The training programme and experience of different international research environments cuts across traditional data and life sciences silos. The emphasis on translational research will support new collaborations between academics and the pharma and health analytics sectors. Our ESR projects will advance the state of the art on biomarker discovery, improve understanding of disease-specific molecular mechanism and target identification for optimal diagnostics, disease risk and treatment management, refine data generation and their management (including warehousing, disease specific and standardised approaches for data processing, visualisation and model development) leading to improved clinical study design, clinical sampling and more targeted therapeutics. This ETN (European Training Network) will internationalise participants, and leverage EC (European Commission) and industry sponsorship, to structure and expand the unique training programme and advance emerging research areas, combining wet-lab, clinical and Big Data resources with computational and modelling know-how. To achieve a paradigm shift in research training this ETN brings together international leaders in Preclinical Science & Molecular Medicine, Systems Analytics, and Targeted Therapeutics, from academia and industry. These experts are ideally positioned to develop the proposed training programme and deliver a highly-trained workforce of next generation scientists, with the right mind-set, knowledge and skills, at the interface of Translational and Systems Medicine. The TranSYS training programme is designed to addresses a critical skills gaps that is currently a bottle-neck to advancing Precision Medicine.
We have several PhD research positions available:
- ESR 1: "Development of individual-specific molecular networks" at the KU LEUVEN/Leuven University (Belgium), under supervision of Kristel Van Steen. Secondment partners: Institut Pasteur, The Golden Helix Foundation.
- ESR 2: "Hunting for patient subtypes through image-based phenotypes as biomarkers for major gene effects in medical disorders" at the KU LEUVEN/Leuven University (Belgium), under supervision of Kristel Van Steen. Secondment partners: Barcelona Supermoting Center, Lifeglimmer GMBH.
- ESR3: "GDPR regulation in translational medicineMain" at the Erasmus Universitair Medisch Centrum Rotterdam (Netherlands) under supervision of P. van der Spek. Secondment partners: Deloitte Consulting BV, Shivom.
- ESR 4: "Developing a precision medicine ethics, between personal empowerment and collective responsibility" at the KU LEUVEN/Leuven University (Belgium), under supervision of Kris Dierickx. Secondment partners: Fundacion Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologicas Carlos III, The Golden Helix Foundation
- ESR 5: "Personalized molecular signatures for modulatingprogression of metabolic liver disease (NAFLD) to hepatocellular carcinoma" at the Univerza V Ljublani (Slovenia) under supervision of D. Rozman. Secondment partners: Uiniversitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Insilicotrials Technologies s.r.l.
- ESR 6: "Dissecting cellular heterogeneity of Parkinson’s disease (PD) related iPS cells during aging by integrated single cell transcriptomics and imaging analysis to identify disease modifiers" at the Université Du Luxembourg (Luxembourg), under supervision of A. Skupin Institut Pasteur, Deloitte Consulting bv.
- ESR 7: "Personalized approaches to modulate tumor behavior using vitamin D3" at the Fundacion Centro Nacional de Investigaciones Oncologogicas Carlos III (University of Madrid, Spain), under supervision of F. Real. Secondment partners : KU Leuven, Shivom.
- ESR 8: "Integrative modelling of autoimmune diseases" at the Institut Pasteur (UMPC Sorbonne Universités, France), under supervision of B Schwikowski. Secondment partners KU Leuven, Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Insilicotrials Technologies s.r.l.
- ESR 9: "Patient-centric data integration framework for highly dimensional data" at the Barcelona Supercomputing Center (Universitat de Barcelona, Spain), under supervision of N Pržulj. Secondment partners Université de Luxembourg, Qiagen Aarhus AS (Erasmus Universitair Medisch Centrum Rotterdam).
- ESR 10: "Development of Clinical Blockchain Network" at the Shivom, United Kingdom (KU Leuven/Leuven University), under supervision of D Bake. Secondment partners Université du Luxembourg, KU Leuven.
- ESR 11: "Identification of biological subtypes related to treatment resistant depression" at the Biomax Informatics ag, (Ludwig-Maximilians-Universtät München, Germany) under supervision of M Butz-Ostendorf. Secondment partners Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Forderung der Wissenschaften EV.
- ESR 12:"Multi-omics analysis to delineate drug-response pathways" at the Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen (Universitair Medisch Centrum Groningen, Netherlands) under supervision of C Wijmenga. Secondment partners Lifeglimmer gmbh, Fundacion Centro Nacional de InvestigacionesOncologicas Carlos III.
- ESR 13: "Understanding stress-responsive molecular networks" at the Max-Planck-Gesellschaft zur Forderung der Wissenschaften EV (Ludwig-Maximilians -Universität München, Germany) under supervision of E Binder. Secondment partners Biomax Informatics AG, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Qiagen Aaarhus as (Erasmus Universtair Medisch Centrum Rotterdam).
- ESR 14: "Standardization of disease and population-specific genotyping panel for preemptive pharmacogenomics: Towards population pharmacogenomics" The Golden Helix Foundation, (University of Patras, Greece) under supervision of G Patrinos. Secondment partners Univerza V Ljublani, Novadiscovery sas, Erasmus Universitair Medisch Centrum Rotterdam.
- ESR 15: "Developing and demonstrating data mining and A.I. tools to better understand patient heterogeneity and assist patient stratification" at the Lifglimmer gmbh (Univerza v Ljublani, Slovenia) under supervision of V Martins dos Santos. Secondment partners Univerza V Ljublani, Erasmus Universitair Medisch Centrum Rotterdam
For more info and description of each project: https://gbiomed.kuleuven.be/english/research/50000622/translational-systemics-transys
TranSYS wishes to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background. Recruitment targets ESR backgrounds in 1) Lifesciences; 2) Engineering sciences and (3) Maths and Computational Modelling. In total 15 early-stage researchers will be recruited that will work at the 13 beneficiaries all across Europe.
We expect that applicants hold a university degree that qualifies them for doctoral studies at their recruiting organization. Solid written and oral communication skills in English are prerequisites of any successful application (typically IELTS min. 7, TOEFL internet-based min. 90 or similar level as proven by other tests). Every applicant can apply for up to three ESR positions (first, second, third choice) from the list above.
At the time of commencement, it is required that the candidate has not been awarded a doctorate degree and is within the first 4 years (full-time equivalent) of her/his research career. Furthermore, the candidate must not have resided or carried out her/his main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the host country for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to her/his recruitment. Short stays, such as holidays, are not taken into account. The candidate is required to spend part of his/her project period at other institutions in the TranSYS consortium on secondments.
- Attractive 3-year full-time employment contract in accordance with the MSCA regulations for early stage researchers of the European Commission - continuation after the first year is dependent upon a positive evaluation.
- Enrolment in a PhD program whereby PhD tuition fee is paid by project.
- Supervision by recognized experts and access to (beyond) state-of-the-art research and pilot-scale infrastructure.
- Training in complementary skills via participation at local and network-based events.
- Terms of appointment and payment according to the rules and regulations laid down by European Union’s Horizon 2020 Marie S. Curie Innovative Training Networks and regulations followed by the host institution.
- All beneficiaries will be full-time employed at their (host) institution. The researchers are expected to conduct secondments at other network partners, as planned by the main host.
Only applications for which the following information has been uploaded will be considered:
Cover Letter, describing your motivation to apply, your research career goals, skills and experience, and your preferred TOP 3 ESR positions (rank 1= your first option).
Diploma and transcripts of records (BSc and MSc)
Full contact details of two reference persons
Documentation of English language qualifications
Other information for consideration (e.g., a list of publications if applicable)
Only applications in English are considered. The board of the network will evaluate all applications, and the top-ranked candidates will be invited for interviews.
For more information you can contact Prof. dr. Kristel Van Steen, mail: email@example.com. Please mention 'PhD position TranSYS' in your subject.
As we collect all applications from all different EU countries in 1 application tool, we request to use the TranSYS application tool: https://h2020transys.eu/recruitment/
Attention! Please apply via the following link: https://h2020transys.eu/recruitment/ (the deadline for application will be extended to 31/08/2019)
Do NOT use the following KU Leuven tool:
You can apply for this job no later than August 31, 2019 via the online application tool
KU Leuven seeks to foster an environment where all talents can flourish, regardless of gender, age, cultural background, nationality or impairments. If you have any questions relating to accessibility or support, please contact us at diversiteit.HR@kuleuven.be.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Computer Science Other Academic jobs in Belgium
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Other Academic jobs in Belgium
- Fixed Term Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health Other Academic jobs in Belgium
- Fixed Term Medicine & Dentistry Other Academic jobs in Belgium
- Fixed Term Other Health & Social Care Other Academic jobs in Belgium