Associate Professor in School Development and Education Leadership
About the position
The Department of Teacher Education is announcing 1 – 2 full-time permanent positions as Associate Professor in School development and Education Leadership.
The position is based in the Section for Vocational teacher education, school development and educational leadership. The environment in education leadership currently have 4 professors, 3 associate professors, 1 university lecturer and 3 PhD research fellows.
The Section is responsible for the Norwegian Head Teacher/Principal education program, the experience-based master's program in school leadership and other further education courses. The research activity is largely aimed at action-oriented knowledge for the development of school, education and learning.
- Teaching and supervision within the Section's study programs that include school development and education management, primarily within the master program in school development and education management and the principal education program.
- Research related to school development and education management
- Administrative tasks
- The position requires a Doctoral degree and academic excellence. The Doctoral degree and the research must be within an academic field that is relevant for school development and education management, for example within organization and management or within administration and management systems.
- Good knowledge of the Nordic leadership and working life tradition.
Emphasis will be placed on ability and experience in initiating and leading research. Strong emphasis will be placed on publication of research results in recognized international journals within the relevant academic field, in particular during the last five years, excluding statutory leave.
- Applicants with expertise, experience or research within one or more of the following fields will be preferred:
- Education systems in the Nordic countries
- Administration and organization of and managing in education systems
- Learning theory, especially with relevance to learning in organizations
- Creative and innovative processes
- Applicants with broad methodology competence will be preferred
- Applicants with ability to generate research projects and external funding for research will be preferred
- Applicants with international academic networks will be preferred
We seek a person with genuine interest in teaching and research that can contribute to a good working environment. Pedagogical skills and qualifications will be emphasized. The assessment of the applicants will be based on the quality and extent of the scientific work, documented teaching material, , teaching experience, supervision of master's and doctoral students and other educational experience.
Formal university pedagogical qualifications are required. If appointed without having formal basic university pedagogical qualifications it is required to undergo an approved course within two years.
It is a prerequisite that within three years of appointment, new employees who do not speak a Scandinavian language can demonstrate skills in Norwegian or another Scandinavian language equivalent to level three in the course for Norwegian for speakers of other languages at the Department of Language and Literature at NTNU.
Please see the Regulations concerning appointment and promotion to teaching and research posts for general criteria for the position. NTNU is committed to following evaluation criteria for research quality according to The San Francisco Declaration on Research Assessment - DORA.
- Co-operation skills and student engagement
- Independent, solution-oriented and creative
In the assessment of the best qualified applicants, education, experience and personal suitability will be emphasized, as well as motivation for the position.
Wages and working conditions
Salary for Associate Professor (Førsteamanuensis): Salary Code 1011, starting salary min. NOK 523 200. The successful candidate will normally be paid between NOK 523 200 to 723 200, per year depending on qualifications. From the salary, 2% is deducted as a contribution to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The engagement is to be made in accordance with the regulations in force concerning State Employees and Civil Servants, and the acts relating to Control of the Export of Strategic Goods, Services and Technology. Candidates who by assessment of the application and attachments are considered to be in conflict with the criteria in the latter law will be prohibited from recruitment to NTNU. Over time, it may be changes in the area of work in the position.
The person appointed must live in a location enabling him/her to be present at and available to the institution.
- exciting and stimulating tasks in a strong international academic environment
- an open and inclusive work environment with dedicated colleagues
- favourable terms in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
- employee benefits
The application and supporting documentation to be used as the basis for the assessment must be in English.
The application must include:
- CV, certificates and diplomas
- Academic works - published or unpublished - that you would like to be considered in the assessment (up to 10 works)
- A description of the academic/artistic works that you regard as most relevant and that you particularly want to be taken into account in the assessment
- Name and address of three referees
- Research plan
- Details of teaching qualifications based on "Documentation of applicant’s teaching qualifications in connection with appointment to an academic position at NTNU"
- Details of the projects you have managed, with information about funding, duration and size
Joint works will be considered. If it is difficult to identify your contribution to joint works, you must attach a brief description of your participation.
When the application deadline has passed, a shortlisting committee will evaluate all applications. The best qualified applicants will be considered by an external evaluation panel. The most suitable applicants will be invited to an interview and to deliver a lecture to undergraduate students.
A good working environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. NTNU wishes to increase the proportion of women in its academic positions, and women are therefore encouraged to apply.
Under the Freedom of Information Act (offentleglova), information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have their name entered on the list of applicants.
Questions about the position can be directed to Professor Torberg Falch, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, tel. +47 99393691.
Questions about the application process can be directed HR consultant Aaste Line Strand, email@example.com
Submit your application and supporting documentation via jobbnorge.no. Applicants invited for interview must bring certified copies of certificates and diplomas.
Mark the application with reference number: SU-360.
Deadline for applications: September 10, 2019
NTNU - knowledge for a better world
The Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) creates knowledge for a better world and solutions that can change everyday life.
Department of Teacher Education
The Department of Teacher Education offers a full range of study programmes for primary and secondary education in Norway. Our department supports several active research and development projects in learning, teaching, and school leadership and management, as well as artistic work. The Department of Teacher Education is part of the Faculty of Social and Educational Sciences at NTNU. We offer an open and inclusive work environment.
Deadline 10th September 2019
Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
Place of service Kalvskinnet