Administration Assistant, Learning and Teaching Support
Closing date 16 Aug 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary £19,202–£21,414 (Grade 4)
Department School of Mathematical & Computer Science
Status Full Time
Duration 12 months fixed-term
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The School of Mathematical and Computer Sciences specialises in computer science, mathematics and actuarial mathematics and statistics. Our programmes are designed to meet the needs of students and their future employers, offering the highest degree of flexibility and choice within the wide range of topics available. The School enjoys an international reputation for its research and its close connection with the professional and industrial world of science, engineering and technology, reflecting the importance that the University attaches to the quality of its teaching, research and student support.
The WWW site for MACS is http://www.macs.hw.ac.uk/
The School is looking to appoint a full-time Administration Assistant to work in our busy School Office supporting learning and teaching activities. The post holder will provide support to the Learning and Teaching Administrators and will work closely with the other members of the School Administrative team. The role is primarily responsible for Postgraduate Taught (PGT) student administration.
The School Office team’s remit is to support a range of degree programmes from the disciplines of Mathematics, Actuarial Mathematics and Statistics and Computer Sciences. The work will be varied and the post holder will be expected to be able to deliver a fair, friendly and timely service to all our students and staff.
All the support services within the School are committed to delivering a customer focused service to students, staff and visitors. To achieve this commitment all support staff need to be adaptable, flexible and prepared to support other teams and individuals within the School.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Support the enrolment process for both new and continuing PGT students by assisting the Administrators to ensure that students are correctly registered on programmes and courses. Maintain student records, including processing of course changes.
- Support the assessment processes for PGT programmes including coordinating and tracking of draft and final exam papers.
- Preparation of examination packs for off-campus examinations and for students with alternative examination requirements.
- Assisting the process for assessment results including input of marks into and/or checking marks in Class Mark Lists.
- Support Administrators with pre and post Award/Progression Board preparations ensuring relevant information is provided to the Board Convenors, Board Members and External Examiners.
- Co-ordinate the submission of coursework and dissertations ensuring work is logged and distributed accordingly.
- Co-ordinate and support the layout of coursework, exam scripts and dissertations for External Examiners to view prior to Award/Progression Board or for accreditation/review panels.
- Liaise with central professional service departments on issues such as student problems, student fees, programme and campus transfers, examinations and graduations.
- Maintain student records (electronic and hard copy), in line with the Data Protection Act including archiving graduated student files. E.g. make changes to student personal data, course changes, process amendments to registration requests, temporary suspension of studies, programme transfers, mitigating circumstances and University withdrawals.
- Ensure that all enquiries (in person, via the School Office email box and in the Student Information Desk) are dealt with in a timely professional manner.
- Produce certification letters, copies of transcripts, verification responses, CAS and Visa certification letters.
- Archive coursework, exam scripts and dissertations and arrange for disposal as outlined in the University’s data management policies
- Support School Committees & Board meetings, such as booking rooms, arranging catering, producing agendas and taking accurate and concise minutes.
- Provide administrative support for School students who are studying at Heriot-Watt via External Partnerships.
- Provide administrative support to the School staff and students involved with Graduate Apprenticeship degrees.
- Support the School Office activity in respect to Tier 4 Student Visa legislation and attendance reporting.
- Assist at the School’s graduation ceremonies.
- General office duties, such as: cover the School Office reception; sorting mail, organising courier collections, room bookings, ordering stationery, scanning, filing, photocopying and shredding and archiving and maintain School office equipment, e.g. photocopiers (replenish paper, toner & staples, report breakdowns)
Please note that this job description is not exhaustive, and the post holder may be required to undertake other relevant duties commensurate with the grading of the post. Activities may be subject to amendment over time as the role develops and/or priorities and requirements evolve.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Good general education to Scottish Higher level or equivalent
- Recent relevant experience of administration, preferably in a higher education environment
- Ability to work effectively in a team and on own initiative
- Ability to work to tight time schedules and under pressure
- Good communication skills
- Well-developed skills in tact and diplomacy
- Good organisational and time management skills with the ability to work flexibly and accurately
- Possess a positive and professional attitude to providing support to others even in difficult or challenging circumstances
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office/Office 365, especially Word, Excel and Outlook
- HNC/D or degree qualification
- Familiarity with the HW Student Administration System
- Experience of minute taking
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on Friday 16 Aug 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
We welcome and will consider flexible working patterns e.g. part-time working and job share options.
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website: https://www.gov.uk/browse/visas-immigration/work-visas
Use our total rewards calculator: https://www.hw.ac.uk/about/work/total-rewards-calculator.htm to see the value of benefits provided by Heriot-Watt University.