Human Resources Manager
The School of Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
The School of Engineering (SoE), Office of the Dean, is looking for an HR Manager to join our team of existing HR professionals. As part of the (SoE) HR Team you will have an opportunity to work with our various departments and provide a variety of human resources services, designed to support the SoE mission. You will be a part of a collaborative team, working alongside other HR Managers and HR Administrators, reporting to the HR Director. The work at Stanford SoE is dynamic, fast-paced, and just the right amount of challenging. In other words, this place has a lot of opportunities to learn and grow.
SoE HR strives to provide strategic partnership to our clients which helps them to achieve their best. We’re looking for someone who is proactive, solutions oriented and can add to our team’s collective expertise.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with the organization's management and/or human resources team to support initiatives by understanding the organization's issues and needs.
- Participating in planning processes and promoting best practices.
- Assisting in the implementation of strategies for facilitating organizational and behavioral change. Participating in organizational design and related development issues.
- Investigating basic employee relations issues and recommending appropriate resolution; working in consultation with more senior level human resources manager/director to resolve complex issues. Coaching and advise on organizational, employee, and labor relations issues.
- Assisting in overseeing the performance appraisal process; ensuring the appropriate process is followed.
- Assisting hiring managers in talent management (recruitment and staffing plans).
- Administering area's salary-setting program to meet the organization and university's guidelines.
- Advising managers on assignment of employees to appropriate classification levels; reviewing and approving salary actions, as needed. Consulting with manager and/or human resources director or university compensation on complex issues.
- Identifying, communicating, and consulting with staff on training and career development opportunities. Conducting relevant training, and participating in training design, as needed.
- Overseeing processes for workers' compensation, disability, leave, work place accommodation requests, and health and safety issues; consulting with managers, senior human resources manager or director, as needed. Ensuring the accurate documentation and recordkeeping.
- Reviewing and/or approving human resources transactions submitted for processing. Ensuring accurate and timely recordkeeping practices. Preparing reports, and analyze data available through local and centralized database resources.
- Flexibility in completing other assigned duties
To be successful in this position, you must have:
- Bachelor's degree and three years relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience.
- Knowledge and demonstrated experience in at least two human resources areas, including: employee relations, employment and labor law, compensation, staffing and employment, training and development, performance coaching and management, and organizational development.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and understanding of group dynamics. Successful track record of establishing credibility and trust with a diverse client group.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem solving, judgment, and influencing skills. Ability to maintain confidentiality, tact, and diplomacy.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to prepare clear and concise reports and deliver formal presentations or training.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business applications, such as Microsoft Office suite and human resource information systems.
In addition, preferred qualifications include:
- Systems thinking and ability to approach work with a solutions-oriented mindset
- General understanding of faculty & student affairs
Certifications and Licenses:
PHR or PHR-CA is a plus
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Job Code: 4705
Employee Status: Regular
Requisition ID: 84117