Closing date 20 Aug 2019 23:00 (UK time)
Salary AED 206,510–AED 246,427
Department Communications, Marketing, Student Recruitment & Admissions
Status Full Time
About Heriot-Watt University
Heriot-Watt University has five campuses: three in the UK (Edinburgh, Scottish Borders and Orkney), one in Dubai and one in Malaysia. The University offers a highly distinctive range of degree programmes in the specialist areas of science, engineering, design, business and languages.
With a history dating back to 1821, Heriot-Watt University has established a reputation for world-class teaching and practical, leading-edge research, which has made it one of the top UK universities for business and industry. We connect with industry at every level and develop programmes to match their needs – so employers get work-ready industry-fit graduates.
Heriot-Watt is also Scotland's most international university, boasting the largest international student cohort.
We have an established set of values that help us to nurture innovation and leadership, and show our commitment to continuous improvement and development in all our activities.
For full details on our University please view our Careers at Heriot-Watt http://www.hw.ac.uk/about/careers-at-heriot-watt.htm
About our Team
The Communications, Marketing, Student Recruitment and Admissions team is at the heart of attracting, engaging and delivering exceptional student and stakeholder experiences. From devising marketing campaigns, global student recruitment activities, and communications that put Heriot-Watt on the global stage, our team delivers professional services that support the University’s strategic ambitions.
The Communications Manager will support, plan, develop and deliver external communications for Heriot Watt University Dubai, protecting and promoting the University’s reputation and building on key external relationships.
- The Communications Manager will plan, develop and deliver communication campaigns and a wide range of activities designed to enhance our reputation for world-class research and teaching and to build active support from key stakeholders.
- Working with the Head of Marketing and Recruitment to plan, develop and implement successful campaigns and supporting activities to identified target audiences that raise awareness of our research and teaching excellence and turn them into advocates and supporters of our University;
- To work with colleagues cross the University to build and tell compelling stories of success for dissemination on digital and traditional communication channels, including working with the media, and social media, on public events and the development and regular updating of the university website;
- To support the Senior Management and in particular the Provost and spokesperson of the university in profiling the university through activities and initiatives driven or emanating from the Office of the Provost, Deputy Provost and COO.
- Identify and use appropriate methods to measure and evaluate communication activities to improve performance and demonstrate their success;
- Contribute to the overall Marketing and Communications strategy and work plan.
- Contribute to decision making in a number of ways, both independently and collaboratively, such as making day to day decisions where immediate action is required to ensure system stability, or to actively inputting at a management level to assist in the decision making process on major projects.
- Ensure that we build on our wider reputation as a leading, specialist university in the UAE and the wider Gulf region, building and maintaining external relationships through effective public advocacy and engagement.
- Liaise with colleagues and external suppliers to build relationships and participate in networks to influence events or decisions, such as to disseminate good practice and share information to keep abreast of developments.
- Working with senior managers and colleagues in Marketing and Communication and Schools and line manage the Communications Team to lead:
- The development and successful implementation of communication campaigns and plans;
- To provide internal and external customers with a service adapted to meet their needs ensuring it is useful and appropriate.
- With academics and the wider team the development of compelling stories about Heriot-Watt University Dubai and turning these into promotional content, where required commissioning design, photography and filming for a range of communication channels.
Key duties and responsibilities
- The development and maintenance of communication channels like social media, the university website, external sites and news channels (e.g. The Conversation);
- Plan, prioritize and organize own work and resources and others in the team to agreed objectives, including sharing responsibility team activities and leading plans and priorities, monitoring progress against targets.
- The promotion and delivery of lectures and conferences and other events designed to promote our excellence in research and wider outreach activities.
- The creation of compelling presentation (PowerPoint/Prezi) materials, documents and speeches;
- Support the acquisition and retention of corporate partners through the delivery of effective brand-led B2B marketing, the creation and the delivery of digital and print content that engages new and existing partners;
- Enhance the reputation of Heriot-Watt for the delivery of projects aligning work as appropriate with Research Engagement and our strategic research priorities through the development of related stories in specialist media and the planning and delivery of enterprise focused events;
- Development, ongoing management, and coordination of internal communication plans to promote engagement in the UAE and the wider MENA region.
- Build and tell compelling stories of success on digital and traditional communication channels including working with the media, public events and the development and regular updating of the university website and social media;
- Develop, distribute and amplify content via owned, earned and bought media channels, including briefing and managing agency relationships as required;
- Work closely with the Head of Marketing and Student Recruitment to ensure that appropriate resource is available to meet requirements, including access to freelancers, suppliers and agencies as appropriate.
In addition more generally to:
- Provide a professional advice service to Heriot-Watt University colleagues and academics and to be an active member of the team attending and contributing to its team meetings;
- Train or guide other members of the team on specific tasks and activities, giving advice and guidance from their own knowledge.
- Induct new starts within the Comms team, conduct PDR meetings, and identify training needs for team members and monitor achievements;
- Support media relations relating to pre or post event activity, and/or news stories related to research and innovation;
- Provide content for corporate publications;
- Assist in dealing with urgent or emergency PR matters.
- Other duties as required by the Head of Marketing and Recruitment.
Education, qualifications and experience
- Degree level education, ideally in a related marketing or communications discipline
- Extensive communications or marketing channel and content management experience
- Experience of using data and analytics to understand ROI measures to build effective campaigns
- Extensive copywriting and editing, especially in developing content for use by business audiences.
- Creative commissioning and management of creative resources
- Proven experience of working effectively in a matrix structure and ensuring outputs are coordinated in a complex operating environment.
- Ability to coach, motivate, assess and manage team members
- Competent in the use of relevant IT packages and internet research
- Proven relevant technical experience in B2B marketing, which will have been acquired over a number of years, with a basic understanding of the relevant theory
- Excellent interpersonal, influencing and presentation skills, able to understand and communicate complex issues effectively
- Demonstrable ability to work quickly, flexibly and accurately in a dynamic, changing and pressured environment
- Experience of working closely with stakeholders across all levels of the organisation
- Ability to research, analyse and present complex information effectively with good attention to detail
- High level organisational skills with the ability to prioritise major developments and to function effectively in a pressured environment
- Demonstrable professional and proactive approach
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
- Ability to manage and control budgets
- Higher education sector experience
- Experience of working in B2B services marketing
- CIM/CIPR/IDM or equivalent Marketing/Comms qualification
- Experience of content development and management and/or copywriting
How To Apply
Applications can be submitted up to midnight (UK time) on 20 August 2019.
At Heriot-Watt University we understand that being diverse makes us better which is why we support a culture of respect and equal opportunity, and value diversity at the heart of what we do. We want to increase the diversity of our workplace to underpin a dynamic and creative environment.
The appointment is conditional upon successful completion of all Labour and Immigration formalities, and the start date will need to be delayed if the employment visa is not in place.