Job Code: 4821
Job Grade: I
Exemption Status: Exempt, continuing
VPUE Unit: Vice Provost’s Office (VPO)
Heralded as a hub of undergraduate innovation, the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE) creates and sustains meaningful interactions between students and faculty both within and outside the classroom. As a team member of VPUE, you have a unique opportunity to advance and support programs that touch and enhance the lives of every undergraduate student at Stanford.
The Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education is seeking a customer service oriented Software Developer who is able to easily connect and communicate with technical and non-technical clients in the development and support of customized solutions.
This position requires a sound combination of functional and technical knowledge of web development using Java, and a strong SQL background. You will have a demonstrated track record of delivering quality solutions providing the highest value to the University, and solid technical expertise with several Oracle based technologies. You will have experience in performing production support activities including, but not limited to maintaining system configurations, data cleanup, database reporting, testing, filing/resolving service requests, and estimating enhancements.
The Software Developer will report to the Director of Information Technology for VPUE and will be part of the VPUE Information Technology team responsible for the support, maintenance, operations and upgrades of various Java/Oracle based internally written applications as well as other third party/custom applications, and many reporting needs throughout VPUE. The team also supports custom applications integration with other units across the university.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Serve as a technical resource with respect to software applications.
- Document system builds and application configurations; maintain and update documentation as needed.
- Compare, evaluate, and implement new features and technologies, and integrate them into the VPUE computing environment.
- Proactive and diligent identification and communications of scope, design, and development issues, and providing recommendations for potential solutions.
- Work closely with Business Analysts and Subject Matter Experts to understand business requirements.
- Using your understanding of software engineering principles and skills to work in a Linux/Windows Operating systems using Version Control and other Office software.
- Using your strong Java programming abilities, combined with advanced SQL skills to design and support web based applications.
- Working alone and with other developers you will use your strong working knowledge in web application technologies to maintain and enhance our in house written applications that support the ongoing needs for our undergraduate students.
- Develop and maintain reports using your experience with SQL Reporting tools.
To be successful in this position:
You will have a Bachelor's degree and three years of relevant experience, or a combination of education and relevant experience, as well as:
- Expertise in designing, developing, testing, and deploying applications
- Proficiency with application design and data modeling
- Ability to recognize and recommend needed changes in user and/or operations procedures.
- Strong communication skills with both technical and non-technical clients
- Basic knowledge of software engineering principles.
- Ability to select, adapt, and effectively use a variety of programming methods
- Knowledge of application domain
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- Strong Java programming abilities combined with advanced SQL skills to design and support web based applications
- 6 months reporting experience with SQL Reporting tools and OBIEE reports
- Experience working with Salesforce
- Knowledge in any scripting language (Shell, PHP, Perl or Python)
About the Office of the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE)
For undergraduates, VPUE is the nexus for programs and initiatives that help students define and achieve their intellectual ambitions at Stanford. These include investigative introductory courses taught by esteemed faculty, targeted classes in writing and rhetoric, undergraduate research support, academic advising and mentoring, overseas and off-campus study programs, and undergraduate scholarships and fellowships. For faculty, VPUE serves as a principal conduit for furthering interaction with undergraduates and discovering ways in which working with students can enrich one’s research agenda. VPUE advocates for undergraduate education in collaboration with faculty, departments and schools across Stanford. All VPUE resources are dedicated to involving faculty with the undergraduate experience, connecting students with phenomenal opportunities and fully realizing a liberal education at Stanford.
Why Stanford is for You
Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven individuals to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or course auditing opportunities. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
If you’re ready to work for an organization that nurtures diversity, respect, professional development and a comfortable work-life fit, we invite you to explore this opportunity and apply online. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and resume along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background and experience in applications development using the java language, your experience with database reporting and development and experience you have in working with non-technical clients to understand their business needs. Visa sponsorship not available.
Click on Job Search
Enter 84064 in the Keyword Search field
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4821
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: I