Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellow for Asia-Pacific Security, IISS-Asia
Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellows for Asia-Pacific Security, IISS-Asia
Duration: Four years
The International Institute for Strategic Studies (IISS) is the world’s leading independent authority on global security issues, providing information and analysis on a wide range of international security and political risk questions.
The Institute conducts research on the problems of conflict, however caused, that may have a significant military dimension, and analyses international trends, including economic developments, which may have strategic implications. The Institute convenes high-level conferences – such as the annual IISS Shangri-La Dialogue in Singapore – that bring together government officials, recognised experts, opinion-formers and business leaders at the most senior level, in order to enhance diplomatic exchanges and to enable the crafting of more effective policy on strategic matters.
The IISS, headquartered in London and with international offices in Singapore, Bahrain and Washington DC, is seeking to appoint two Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellows for Asia-Pacific Security. The successful candidates will be energetic, highly-qualified, senior experts on contemporary Asia-Pacific security-policy challenges. As well as conducting cutting-edge research and publishing widely, they will play major roles in the organisation of the IISS Shangri-La Dialogue and associated events, as well as in the other activities of the IISS–Asia office in Singapore, where they will be located.
The two Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellows will report to the Executive Director of IISS–Asia. As part of their portfolios, each will assume one or more of the following roles:
- Deputising for the Executive Director in the overall leadership and management of the IISS–Asia office
- Lead responsibility for organising and editing the annual IISS Asia-Pacific Regional Security Assessment
- Lead responsibility for organising and securing funding for the Southeast Asian Young Leaders’ Programme, which has become an important element of the Shangri-La Dialogue
- Lead responsibility for convening the annual IISS Fullerton Forum: Shangri-La Dialogue Sherpa Meeting
- Lead responsibility for programmatic and other fundraising in support of work on East Asian security
- Lead responsibility for IISS research on Chinese foreign and security policy; and liaison with the Chinese government, the People’s Liberation Army, and the non-governmental expert community in China [this role requiring high-level Chinese-language competency]
In addition, both Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellows will contribute, as required, to other components of the wider IISS research programme, particularly in the areas of Cyber, Defence and Military Analysis, Conflict Studies, and Japanese foreign, security and defence policies.
Candidates should have strong records of policy-relevant publication on aspects of Asia-Pacific security, a postgraduate degree related to the Asia-Pacific region (or an equivalent professional background related to the region), and a minimum of eight years of relevant employment. Candidates must be fully competent in spoken and written English and will preferably possess a working knowledge of at least one regional language.
Candidates should submit their applications by email to email@example.com by 31 August 2019, providing the following documents:
- A cover letter
- A full Curriculum Vitae (Resume)
- Scans of official transcripts for all post-secondary education
- The names and contact details [email and telephone] of two potential referees (preferably one academic and the other a present or former employer)
These positions are for fixed terms of four years and may be considered for renewal at the end of the contract. The salaries offered will be competitive and will be accompanied by benefits including health insurance, life insurance, and contributory pension arrangements.
Candidates should be eligible to work in Singapore and the IISS will apply for Employment Passes for successful candidates if these are necessary. Due to the expected volume of applications, only those applicants selected for interview will receive a reply following the acknowledgement email. The IISS is an equal opportunities employer.
Apply for Shangri-La Dialogue Senior Fellow for Asia-Pacific Security, IISS-Asia
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly