Director, Research Translation IP and Commercialisation
RMIT is a global university of technology, design and enterprise in which teaching, research and engagement are central to achieving positive impact and creating life-changing experiences for our students. Founded in 1887, RMIT is a multi-sector university with more than 87,000 students including 15,000 at postgraduate level and 11,000 staff globally.
The Research and Innovation Portfolio supports researchers and graduate researchers with research partnerships, grants and research contracts, funding opportunities, capability development, research training, ethics and integrity, intellectual property, commercialisation, internships, communication and profile.
We are moving to an Enterprise Research Support Services Operating Model which will enable smarter and simpler ways of doing things to enable the exceptional service experience we promise our staff and students.
The Director, Research Translation, IP and Commercialisation is part of the Research Partnerships and Translation Function. The role will manage the development and implementation of the University research translation strategy including collaboration and innovation initiatives which focus on the path to impact for RMIT research. The Director will strategically lead and shape new and existing research translation pathways.
This opportunity will provide leadership of the management of the University's research translation function and is responsible for research translation pathways that lead to the delivery of impact. This includes input into evidence-based government policy development and the development of intellectual property assets, knowledge and technology transfer and commercialisation within and external to the University.
KEY SELECTION CRITERIA:
- Extensive senior management experience with a well-established track record in complex multi-disciplinary organisations and research translation.
- Proven ability to develop, inform and implement strategy to develop, design and implement research and innovation translation programs.
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders for research and innovation translation and commercialisation.
- Highly developed skills in making pragmatic assessments of research related commercial opportunities and organisational development proposals, and experience in developing research translation paths.
- Proven track record in managing complex commercialisation portfolios and research commercialisation deals.
- Highly developed stakeholder skills, negotiation and influencing skills, as well as strong relationship building skills.
- Strong people leadership capabilities.
- An understanding of national and international research and innovation trends, with previous experience in either a University or research agency environment or company research and innovation environment.
A relevant tertiary qualification or equivalent combination of qualifications and relevant work experience.
Note: Appointment to this position is subject to passing a Working with Children check.
For further information, please visit our careers website using job ref #577057
Applications close on Sunday 25th August 2019.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.