Research Engineer, Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotic System
Organization Name Khalifa University Center for Autonomous Robotic System
The newly-established Khalifa University of Science and Technology combines the Masdar Institute of Science and Technology (MI), Khalifa University of Science, Technology and Research (KUSTAR), and the Petroleum Institute (PI) into one world-class, research-intensive institution, seamlessly integrating research and education to produce world leaders and critical thinkers in applied science and engineering.
- To provide high quality research support and undertake internationally competitive research aimed at publication thereby contributing to the academic and research mission of the University.
- Ability to present research plans and findings in a convincing style, both in oral and written modes of communication.
We are seeking a researcher with a keen interest in performing cutting-edge research in autonomous vehicles (AVs). Several technical challenges arise from the uncertain environment in which AVs operate, such as road and weather conditions, errors in perception and sensory input data. A robust AV perception and control algorithm pipeline should account for different sources of uncertainty and should generate control policies that are quantifiably safe. The project involves retrofitting an existing car with perception kit (and control) for autonomous tasks.
- Coordinates day to day operations of the assigned laboratory and the assigned laboratory staff
- Ensures work is carried out and performed to the required standards
- Supports in lab instruction, when required
- Monitors and maintains an organized, clean and safe working environment in labs and ensures compliance with work-related legal, health and safety standards
- Contributes to recruitment, training, development and performance appraisal of the assigned lab staff
- Ensures stock of equipment and consumables within a pre‐set level of expenditure
- Supports in identifying and purchasing of lab equipment, following consultation with appropriate faculty and working closely with procurement/facilities management/fiancé departments
- Supports in budget preparation by highlighting resource requirements such as equipment, manpower, and space
- Contributes to development of policies and procedures of Dept
- Advises faculty and students on all aspects of technical support services
- Works closely with direct supervisor to provide excellent lab services to faculty, students and researchers
Assist in supervising undergraduate and graduate students in their projects in the lab
- MSc in Computer Science, Robotics, or equivalent
- Hands-on technical knowledge in software integration and setting up sensing modalities and compute units on a vehicle
- Strong knowledge in programming (e.g., C, C++)
- Proficiency in Linux OS and shell scripting
- Any relevant certifications are added advantage
- Excellent English language both spoken and written
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills
- Required Experience
- Bachelor, min. (3+) years of Research Assistant experience.
- Master, (0) years of relevant research experience
- Laboratory work Experience in Robotics related projects, ROS Software development, Microcontroller Electronics would be preferred.
How To Apply
CV + Research Interest Statement
Should you require further assistance or if you face any issue with the online application, please feel to contact the Recruitment Team (RecruitmentTeam@ku.ac.ae).