Senior Academic Administrator
4 days left
- Full Time
Senior Academic Administrator
External title: Senior Academic Administrator
Reporting to: TBC
As an experienced Academic Administrator, you will manage the planning and delivery of the Engineering Programme at The Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology (both in our collaboration with the University of Warwick and under our own New Degree Awarding Powers), and provide specialist administration support the Head of Engineering Programme.
You will have a degree or other relevant professional qualification; advanced experience of the Higher Education sector , knowledge of its evolving landscape and commitment to its purposes; understanding of the complex workings of an academic department; experience of senior administrative role, of managing resources and staff, and of strategic planning; advanced personal and interpersonal skills, oral and written communication skills, financial, numeracy and IT skills, and skills in leadership, teamwork, planning and managing.
The Dyson Institute
In March 2016 James Dyson met with former Universities Minister, Jo Johnson, to discuss the acute shortage of graduate engineers in the UK. He invited James to be the first to take full advantage of the new Higher Education and Research Act and build The Dyson Institute of Engineering and Technology – a brand new type of higher education institution.
The Dyson Institute is one of the most exciting initiatives in Higher Education – a brand new degree at a brand new institution. Our first, second and third cohorts of Undergraduates are enrolled on a four-year Bachelor of Engineering Degree written by leading Dyson engineers in collaboration with the University of Warwick. We’re currently in the process of applying for New Degree Awarding Powers, with future cohorts graduating with a Dyson Degree. In the workplace, our Undergraduates have the rare opportunity to blend study and ‘on the job’ learning, working alongside some of the best engineers and scientists in the world. This degree really is different.
Engineering Programme Responsibilities
- Lead the Engineering Programme’s academic planning, including module planning, timetabling and other resourcing requirements to ensure seamless execution
- Work hand-in-glove with the Quality and Standards Team to ensure the Engineering Programme’s plans and activities align with The Dyson Institute’s policies and regulatory/quality requirements
- Use initiative to anticipate and address operational issues at an Engineering Programme level
- Analyse key programme-level data of statistics and trends to inform effective decision making
- Establish, document and keep under review processes and procedures for the general management of the Engineering Programme, ensuring all staff are aware of procedures
- Oversee the Engineering Programme’s governance arrangements through the annual cycle of departmental committees, meetings and other key dates
- Oversee the Engineering Programme’s attendance monitoring activities
- Oversee the implementation and administration of key new systems, including the virtual learning environment, student information system and library
- Oversee the updating of key Engineering Programme documentation and records, including staff and student handbooks, academic induction materials, programme and module information and other records required for management information (ensuring all are aligned with Dyson Institute policies and regulations)
- Take responsibility for all records of the Engineering Programme, including accuracy, security, back-ups and compliance with data retention regulations
- Contribute to Engineering Programme submissions to the various quality assurance processes conducted by The Dyson Institute Quality and Standards Team or external bodies (e.g. Programme Review, QAA evidencing, HESA etc.)
Assessments and Curriculum
- Oversee deadlines and procedures for the submission of student work and marks with lecturing staff, programme leaders and the Chair of Exams
- Act as Secretary to the Board of Examiners for the programme, with responsibility for the preparation of marks, records relating to extenuating circumstances and plagiarism cases, External Examiner procedures, the recording of results and degree classifications, and communicating outcomes and arrangements to staff and students
- To advise on the preparation of module proposals and module amendments, in line with Academic Regulations, and to ensure appropriate handling of Engineering Programme paperwork for modules and the programme
- In addition you will be required to undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays.
- Pension scheme.
- Performance-related bonus.
- Life assurance.
- Sport centre
- Appropriate training and development.
- Free on-site parking.
- Subsidised café and restaurants.
- Discounts on Dyson machines.
Apply for Senior Academic Administrator
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly