Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
The Caltech Seismo Lab seeks a staff member to participate in the operation of the Caltech/USGS southern California earthquake monitoring network (SCSN/CISN). The duties consist of routine data analysis of earthquake data using standard graphics software tools. In addition, the person will be part of a team tracking the state of health of the network. We are interested in individuals with some computer skills who like hands on work in a dynamic environment.
- Will analyze seismic data from the SCSN/CISN using standard software tools and procedures, including a graphical interface on a PC computer
- Will participate in monitoring the state of health of stations and works with SCSN/CISN real-time operators to ensure completeness of the data archive. Will assist with troubleshooting various aspects of the data acquisition process
- Performs all other duties as assigned, including varied technical assignments requiring the use of standard scientific principles, techniques, and process
- Associate degree in science or engineering, or equivalent with at least one year of work experience required
- Have basic computer hardware and software skills, including PC operation and Microsoft Works software
- Requires ability to operate graphical interactive scientific software on a PC computer for long periods of time
- Must be able to work with a team, and pay attention to detail
- Excellent writing and communication skills and a high level of initiative are required
- B.S degree in science or engineering preferred
- Experience using interactive graphical user interfaces software for analyzing and reviewing data, a plus
- Experience in analysis of seismic or other geophysical data and some UNIX or LINX experience, a plus