Associate Professor, Advanced Nanomaterials
The Associate Professor will provide strategy and leadership in the field of in advanced nanotechnology and nanomaterials. Contributing to the University’s Global Impact Clusters, the position plays a key role in building interdisciplinary research teams, with strong industry partnerships, to develop a research agenda and research led training in this field. As a key senior member of the Centre, the role combines extensive academic expertise, practitioner knowledge and networks with national/international standing to position the Centre as a leader in this field and contributes to the delivery of the New Futures, STEMM and Faculty strategic plans.
The University of Newcastle (UON) stands as a global leader distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence, and to creating a better future for its regions through a focus on innovation and impact. The UON NeW Futures Strategic Plan (2016 – 2025) recognises that the nature of the workforce will undergo rapid transformation, particularly in Australia, as we move from an economy dependent on commodities to one reliant on new technologies, discovery, innovation and entrepreneurship.
The Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment is one of the leading faculties of its kind in Australia. We have achieved outstanding results in the Australian Research Council ERA research excellence ratings, being the only university to achieve the highest possible rating of '5' in Civil Engineering across all three ERA assessments (2010, 2012 and 2015), and one of only two to achieve a 5 in Electrical and Electronic Engineering across all three ERA assessments, and a 5 in Resources Engineering and Extractive Metallurgy. Our position as one of the most highly ranked engineering faculties in Australia is recognised through our associate membership of the Group of Eight.
Dedicated to research and training in the disciplines of Chemical, Civil, Environmental, Mechanical and Mechatronics Engineering, and Surveying, the School of Engineering is currently seeking to appoint a suitably qualified Associate Professor at Level D in Advanced Nanomaterials on a full-time fixed-term basis for 5 years.
The role is expected to display personal qualities and behaviours consistent with Middle Leaders Level as outlined in the Leadership Framework.
The UON Leadership framework describes six leadership capabilities for both academic and professional staff. At UON leaders; shape the future, engage beyond the University, work collaboratively, strive for excellence, drive performance and show courage and respect.
At UON we recognise that while leaders exist at all levels, people face different challenges and demands depending on their leadership level. For each Leadership Capability the behaviours reflect how each capability can be observed at different leadership levels in the University.
This Position Description outlines the major accountabilities/responsibilities and the selection criteria against which candidates suitability for the position are assessed. As such there are specific job requirements that are referred to as Inherent Requirements. Inherent Requirements refer the ability of the candidate/incumbent to:
- Perform the essential duties and functional requirements of the job;
- Meet the productivity and quality requirements of the position;
- Work effectively in the team or other type of work organisation concerned; and
- Do the job without undue risk to own or others health, safety and welfare at work.
An applicant who has any injuries, illness, disorder, impairment, condition or incapacity that may affect the ability to perform the inherent requirements of the position are encouraged to discuss this with the University to assist in the process of identifying reasonable adjustments that may be required to enable the candidate/incumbent to perform the duties of the position.
- A doctorate in the area of chemistry, physics, material science or biomaterials. Research experience commensurate with an appointment at this level, preferentially aligned with Australian research priorities.
- An outstanding national reputation and an eminent authority within the study of choice with original, innovative and distinguished achievement in research, as evidenced by publications, reports and working with national and international institutions in collaborative research.
- Demonstrated sustained success in securing significant competitive funding from government and industry and evidence of sound financial management of these activities.
- An excellent understanding of national and international industry-focused research in the area of advanced nanomaterials and their applications in energy or environment or health.
- Demonstrated success at establishing research interactions with industry and developing partnerships between academia, industry, the community and the profession.
- Excellence in mentoring and teaching and managing big research groups.
- Demonstrated knowledge of workplace obligations to, and experience in leading and cultivating workplace practices and behaviours that promote, support and maintain a safe, healthy, equitable, diverse and respectful workplace; including responding appropriately to adverse accidents, incidents, behaviours, issues, reports and the like.
- Demonstrated ability and experience in leadership and contributions to the development and planning of academic and research activities to supports the vision of GICAN and University strategic priorities to ensure programs and courses remain of a high quality, with flexible delivery options and reflect professional practice standards.
- Experience in management and commercialization of intellectual property.
- Experience in communication of high quality research to industry and government
- Working closely with the industry partner from Australia and abroad.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Newcastle
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Newcastle
- Fixed Term Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Newcastle
- Fixed Term Civil Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Newcastle
- Fixed Term Chemical Engineering Principal / Senior Lecturers / Associate Professors jobs in Newcastle