Streetlaw Supervising Solicitor
Location: Manchester St James's
Closing date: 29/07/2019
Employment type: Fixed Term
Department: University Education Services
10 months fixed term contract
We seek a person solicitor with excellent attention to detail and project management experience for a maternity cover role in BPP University Law School’s Pro Bono Centre. The individual will have responsibility for the Streetlaw project in Manchester.
The person appointed will:
- Have excellent organisational skills;
- Ensure the Streetlaw project meets 4 key CRED criteria:
- Preparing COMPETENT trainers through selection and training
- to deliver RELEVANT information through presentations
- in the most EFFECTIVE way (based on the latest teaching principles)
- to the most DESERVING people;
- Preferably be a qualified solicitor with experience in employment, family or criminal law;
- Have genuine and demonstrable passion for pro bono services and the benefits to students and clients alike of student led pro bono;
- Be passionate about social media and have some marketing and business development skills or an aptitude to developing these skills;
- Have a passion for working with students;
- Have considerable experience in training students in the delivery of presentations and in delivering presentations to a range of audiences;
- Be dedicated to providing an excellent service to clients and a stimulating learning environment for students.
The appointed person will work closely with the Associate Dean and Streetlaw Manager, London.
About the Pro Bono Centre:
The BPP Pro Bono Centre facilitates student led pro bono services. Law students work with qualified staff to deliver a range of services including legal advice and legal education. The Centre opened in 2004 and has expanded to accommodate the growing number of law students and locations of BPP University. Its dual goals are to provide free legal advice to the community and to provide law students with the opportunity to obtain practical legal experience.
Your duties will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Working with the pro bono team to ensure the Streetlaw project is run effectively in all locations, with particular responsibility for:
- Coordination of student volunteers, events and day to day activity on the project at the North West sites (Manchester and Leeds); and
- Maintaining the database of Streetlaw supporting materials to ensure legal accuracy and alignment with external client objectives.
- Working closely with the London based Streetlaw Manager, currently responsible predominantly for Streetlaw.
- Developing, coordinating and delivering training sessions (carried out by BPP pro bono and academic staff.)
- Promoting the culture and ethic of pro bono among the students.
- Being a point of contact for Pro Bono and to liaise with staff, students, clients and supervisors.
- Playing a part in developing and maintaining details of the Streetlaw Project on the Pro Bono Centre intranet site and BPP’s internet site.
- Engaging with BPP Streetlaw stakeholders to improve the service and to commit to building the network to enhance the project and possibilities for BPP’s law students.
- Undertaking any other duties related to the post as deemed suitable or appropriate by the relevant person.
Knowledge, skills and experience required
Please refer to the full job description