Caltech Climbing Wall Monitor
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Caltech seeks an experienced climber with exceptional communication skills to supervise recreational use of our bouldering cave and vertical climbing wall by our community members. A responsible and diligent person who will provide an environment of safety and enjoyment for a variety of users from beginners to advance. The work schedule is varied and may change frequently. This is a part time, on-call, position with an hourly wage of $20/hour. . The position is supervised by the Assistant Director for Recreation and works closely with our physical education climbing instructor.
- Safe supervision of the climbing wall use by members during open hours
- Work in a diverse environment with a variety of climbers to safely participate, instruct, advise and provide assistance for members
- Follow without fail, the climbing wall procedures as outlined by our documents and the assistant director for recreation
- Priority on record keeping, cleanliness and order of the equipment and climbing spaces
- Report any unsafe practices immediately, including the authority to immediate close the wall/gym
- Works closely with APER operations team, climbing instructor, assistant director’s for facilities and recreation
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to maintain focus on safety and protocols
- Two years of vertical climbing instruction, experience and education
- Mastery of ropes, belay technique; ability to verbally assist climbers navigate routes
- Certification as a wall supervisor by Caltech climbing instructor
- Cover Letter