Robotics and Embedded Systems Programming Technician
Are you an experienced lab technician or engineer with a background in programming for robotics and/or embedded systems? Are you looking for a new and exciting challenge as part of one of the leading Mechanical Engineering Schools in the country?Do you want to make a difference to world class teaching and research activities?
The Institute of Design, Robotics and Optimisation designs and analyses complex systems that involve technology, people and services. We have world-class expertise in design systems, solid mechanics, robotics, mechatronics, surgical technologies, dynamics and control, optimisation and aerospace and structural engineering. With more than 50 researchers and technical staff, we deliver our research through partnerships with industry, multi-disciplinary collaborations, and end user engagement. We have a large portfolio of research in exploration and infrastructure robotics, highlights of which can be seen at https://youtu.be/vBmfMqTS31U
We are looking for a professional and proactive individual to join our team and provide robotics programming support for our teaching, research and general lab activities. You will work closely with our technicians, students, researchers and academic staff in several well-equipped research and teaching laboratories. You will have the opportunity to apply your skills to a wide variety of exciting, cutting-edge robotic research projects including:
- A £4.2M project called “Balancing the impact of City Infrastructure Engineering on Natural systems using Robots” that aims to develop new robot designs and technologies in three areas: "Perch and Repair", "Perceive and Patch" and "Fire and Forget" using world class robot fabrication facilities.
- A £7.2M project that aims to develop swarms of autonomous miniature inspection robots for long-term deployment within live utility pipes.
- Developing our entries to the Mohamed Bin Zayed International Robotics Challenge (MBZIRC), where we aim to compete in all three challenges. Challenge 1 involves a team of UAVs autonomously tracking and interacting with a set of objects (for example intruder UAVs). Challenge 2 involves a team of UAVs and a UGV collaborating to autonomously locate, pick, transport and assemble building blocks to create pre-defined structures in an outdoor environment. Challenge 3 involves a team of robots collaborating to autonomously extinguish a series of simulated fires in an urban high rise building firefighting scenario.
You will have a minimum BTEC level 4 / HNC in Computing, Electronics, Mechatronics related discipline (or qualification such as a degree), or equivalent relevant experience. You will have an advanced knowledge of software programming for embedded systems and/or robotics including experience with software such as C, C++, ROS, Matlab and Labview. You will also have a working knowledge of electronics and/or data acquisition.
To explore the post further or for any queries you may have, please contact:
Mr Peter Thompson, Technical Officer
Tel: +44 (0) 113 343 2471 or email: P.R.Thompson@leeds.ac.uk
The Faculty of Engineering is proud to have been awarded the Athena Swan Silver Award from the Equality Challenge Unit, the national body that promotes equality in the higher education sector. Our equality and inclusion webpageprovides more information.
Location: Leeds - Main Campus
Faculty/Service: Faculty of Engineering
School/Institute: School of Mechanical Engineering
Section: Institute of Design, Robotics and Optimisation
Category: Technical Support
Grade: Grade 6
Salary: £27,025 to £32,236 p.a.
Post Type: Full Time
Contract Type: Ongoing
Closing Date: Wednesday 31 July 2019
Interview Date: To be confirmed
Downloads: Candidate Brief
More searches like this
- £30,001 - £40,000 Permanent Computer Science Other Professional Services jobs in Leeds
- £30,001 - £40,000 Permanent Engineering & Technology Other Professional Services jobs in Leeds
- £30,001 - £40,000 Permanent Electrical & Electronic Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Leeds
- £30,001 - £40,000 Permanent Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering Other Professional Services jobs in Leeds