The Department of Mechanical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering is one of the largest departments in the School of Engineering at Stanford, with over 40 faculty and roughly 800 undergraduate, masters, and doctoral students. The department is consistently ranked in the top group of all mechanical engineering departments in the nation. Faculty members in Stanford’s Department of Mechanical Engineering work in five major research groups that reflect the department’s focus and methodologies. Our philosophy is simple: We push the limits of the possible – the ultra-efficient and hyper-fast, the maximally enduring and most sustainable, the fully autonomous and the super-controlled. We employ a range of methodologies: design thinking, computational simulation, control systems and multi-scale approaches that range from the nanoscale to complex biological and mechanical systems.
The Department of Mechanical Engineering, seeks a professional, highly organized and energetic Administrative Associate to join its team. The successful candidate will report to the Faculty Affairs and Staffing Manager and manage a variety of projects while interacting with staff, students and faculty within the department, while providing friendly and efficient support. The ideal candidate will have a gift for administration, an affinity for the creative process, and a love of working with faculty and students. The administrative associate will thrive on managing multiple simultaneous projects in a fast-paced environment, support events, process financial transactions (PCard, Expense Requests, iJournals, Purchase Reqs), and assist with updating the department’s webpage and AST/OTS database. They will be organized, personable, detail-oriented, creative, familiar with excel, and flexible, with a passion for supporting the mission of the department.
Are you personable, proactive, and exude a high-level of customer service? Then this position may be the right fit for you!
Your responsibilities include:
- Respond to inquiries, determining and taking appropriate action as required.
- Perform duties associated with scheduling, organizing, and operating conferences, seminars, courses, and other events, including recommending vendors for services, overseeing the production and distribution of materials, coordinating logistics, and serving as liaison with internal and external vendors.
- Composing, formatting, preparing, and distributing routine communications and materials.
- Maintaining a high-level of detail by managing multiple calendars and travel, when needed.
- Providing accurate and timely processing of financial transactions.
- Maintaining office supplies and equipment, obtaining vendor quotations, and coordinating office moves.
- Maintaining approved content on websites.
- Flexibility in completing any other assigned duties.
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- A high school diploma and three years of administrative experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Proficiency in computer skills and demonstrated experience with office software and email applications.
- Demonstrated success in following through and completing routine tasks.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to prioritize and multi-task.
In addition, preferred requirements include:
- An Associate or Bachelor’s Degree
- MS Office, Outlook, and Box experience
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job.
Why Stanford is for You
- Imagine a world without search engines or social platforms. Consider lives saved through first-ever organ transplants and research to cure illnesses. Stanford University has revolutionized the way we live and enrich the world. Supporting this mission is our diverse and dedicated 17,000 staff. We seek talent driven to impact the future of our legacy. Our culture and unique perks empower you with:
- Freedom to grow. We offer career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or global leader speak.
- A caring culture. We provide superb retirement plans, generous time-off, and family care resources.
- A healthier you. Climb our rock wall, or choose from hundreds of health or fitness classes at our world-class exercise facilities. We also provide excellent health care benefits.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. Enjoy free commuter programs, ridesharing incentives, discounts and more!
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit a cover letter and résumé along with your online application. Your one-page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness, and decision-making.
Job Code: 4102
Employee Status: Fixed-Term
Requisition ID: 83916