Associate Professor in Biostatistics
UNSW Medicine is a national leader in learning, teaching and research, with close affiliations to a number of Australia’s finest hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations. With a strong presence at UNSW Kensington campus, the faculty have staff and students in teaching hospitals in Sydney as well as regional and rural areas of NSW including Albury/Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie.
The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre (NDARC) was established at the University of New South Wales by the Australian Government in 1986 to extend the knowledge base required for effective treatment of individuals with alcohol and other drug related problems and to enhance the overall research capacity in the drug and alcohol field. The National Drug and Alcohol Research Centre is supported by funding from the Australian Government Department of Health under the Drug and Alcohol Program. The Centre is highly regarded, both nationally and internationally, for its contribution to drug and alcohol research.
About the role
- 3 year Fixed-term, Full-time opportunity
- Academic (Level D): $155, 786 - $171, 120 (+ 17% superannuation & Leave loading)
- Sydney, Australia based
The position of Associate Professor – Biostatistics will develop, enhance and provide strategic leadership in the conduct of cutting edge biostatistical methods and support across NDARC. In addition to his/her own research portfolio, the biostatistician will provide highly developed leadership including supervision, training, education, mentoring and assistance to research staff and students in order to achieve high quality research publications; obtain competitive grant funding; and work closely with partners at NDARC and across the fields of drug and alcohol, public health and epidemiology. The position is intended to provide high-level leadership in the area of cutting-edge methods in biostatistics, to develop and lead collaborative, multi-disciplinary research activities with both internal and external research groups in order to build research capacity for NDARC.
Particular areas of interest are linked datasets, prospective cohort study designs, randomised controlled trials, time series analysis and innovative evaluation designs. The role of Associate Professor - Biostatistics reports to the Centre Director and has two direct reports.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will have:
- A PhD or equivalent doctoral qualification in a relevant field
- Extensive experience in the conduct of statistical analyses of research data, with the ability to provide advice and contribute to the design of new studies
- Significant track record in research leadership with outcomes of high quality and high international impact with the desire and ability to continually achieve research excellence and deliver research leadership
- Strong record of recruiting and supervising high calibre students
- Excellent written and oral communication skills as evidenced by publications and presentations for academic and key stakeholder groups
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team, mentor other staff, collaborate across disciplines and build effective relationships
- Knowledge of health and safety responsibilities and commitment to attending relevant health and safety training
You should systematically address the selection criteria from the position description in your application.
Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Contact: Lise Mellor
Applications close: 11 pm, 13th August 2019
Find out more about working at UNSW at https://med.unsw.edu.au/
UNSW is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity