Laboratory Coordinator/Administrative Assistant
This is a part-time, regular, 25 hour/week position for a Research Lab at Caltech. The job duties are split between managing the lab and administrative duties:
60%: Oversee daily lab operations and compliance with all laboratory, Institute, and government policies including orientation and training of new personnel, handling laboratory functions, and resolution of operational problems as necessary. Partners with Principal Investigator and Grant Manager for management of laboratory budgets and fund accounts.
40%: Provide administrative and clerical support to the group.
- Ensure lab compliance with Institute and federal guidelines for health and safety regulations.
- Conduct lab meetings and act as lab safety officer. Maintain lab and associated areas to meet compliance with health and safety requirements.
- Create, revise, document, and communicate lab standard operating procedures and protocols, maintain records in conformance with institutional policy as well as regulatory agency and government directives.
- Train and lead orientation of all new laboratory members, visiting scientists, and student interns.
- Assess inventory and supply needs in the lab. Initiate and/or place orders for lab equipment and supplies; conduct vendor searches, obtain bids and arrange for equipment demonstrations; resolve related billing and reconcile P-card expenditures.
- Conduct proactive maintenance of the lab's infrastructure, including its consumable supplies, computer setup, etc.
- Maintain database of equipment inventory and maintenance contracts.
- Perform monthly reconciliation of travel reports and CardQuest transactions.
- Coordinate group meetings and assist with needs for research conferences and for each research group.
- Coordinate travel arrangements and manage logistics associated with domestic and foreign travel; process travel expense reports and ensure compliance with Caltech’s travel policy and with travel regulations of the funding agencies.
- Collaborate with Grant Manager(s) to keep track of funding accounts and help submit award proposals.
- Coordinate preparation and filing of manuscripts and research reports including various financial and statistical data.
- Other duties as assigned.
- B.S. degree or equivalent with 3+ years related administrative assistant experience.
- Must have the ability to handle technical projects.
- Ability to perform moderately complex functions requiring the application of standard techniques and/or procedures.
- Ability to deliver effective customer service and support to both internal and external colleagues and associates.
- Ability to interact with various levels of management and faculty.
- Effectively resolve problems within the research group by applying policies and procedures.
- Understanding of basic financial and accounting principles with the ability to research and analyze data.
- Proficient computer skills including Microsoft Office and basic website updating skills.
- B.S. degree or equivalent with 4+ years directly related experience.
- Experience with Caltech’s administrative applications (TechMart, PCard, Cognos).
- Lab-based experience a plus.
- Cover Letter