Software Engineer Team Lead
5 days left
- Full Time
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technologies
Australian Centre for Field Robotics, Rio Tinto Centre for Mining Automation
- Opportunity to lead and provide software engineering skills for Research and Development projects in mining automation utilising a range of exciting machine learning, data science and optimisation techniques
- Located at Little Queen Street, Darlington Campus at the Australian Centre for Field Robotics
- Full-Time, 12 Months (renewable), Fixed Term, Level 8: Base Salary $105,198 p.a. - $118,639 p.a. plus a generous employer’s contribution of 14.5% to superannuation.
- Family-friendly working hours
- Generous leave entitlements
- Opportunities for tax-efficient salary packaging, including motor vehicles, laptops and additional
- A variety of training and development opportunities.
About the opportunity
This position will provide senior software development / engineering skills to further develop Rio Tinto’s vision of a fully autonomous, remotely operated mine. In this role, you will collaborate on system architecture design for a new project, and subsequently build, manage and participate in a team to further develop the project. Together you will research and validate solutions to real-world problems and develop and field software and information systems utilising a range of exciting machine learning, data science and optimisation techniques in the mining domain.
In this role you will:
- lead the design of the software architectures in our projects
- build and lead a team of developers at the university, as well as liaising with external developers from our industrial partner Rio Tinto
- collaborate with in-house researchers and data scientists to translate novel technology into production quality code
- establish, advocate and maintain an agile methodology
- ensure code quality (e.g., code reviews)
- occasional travel domestically to liaise with the industry partner’s developers and domain experts
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Software Engineer Team Lead who possesses:
- exceptional skills in Python and/or C++ software development with at least 3 years' experience
- proven experience designing software architectures for complex tasks (e.g., data driven applications, simulations)
- taste for idiomatic code
- experience with code reviews
- working knowledge of the Linux development environment
- excellent communication skills
- experience supervising and leading a team
The Rio Tinto Centre for Mine Automation (RTCMA) is a joint partnership between The Australian Centre for Field Robotics (ACFR) at the University of Sydney and, Rio Tinto, in operation since 2007. The aim of the Centre is to develop and implement the vision of a fully autonomous, remotely operated mine.
With major funding support from Rio Tinto, the RTCMA has built up a successful technical and research program, ranging from the construction and fielding of large-scale robotic platforms and information systems through to quality journal papers. Currently the Centre is staffed by around 25 world-class researchers, technical staff, and postgraduate students from locations spanning six continents.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across our campuses, we employ more than 6,000 academic and non-academic staff who support over 60,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number 1389/0719F to apply.
Please note: visa sponsorship is not available for this position
Closing date: 11:30pm, 28 July 2019 (Sydney Time)
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.