The Library and Learning Commons is looking for an incumbent to teach information literacy classes across all academic disciplines, provide reference guidance to faculty, students, staff and researchers, and participate in collection development to build library resources.
To support operations of all library public services activities and serve as backup to library supervisor as needed.
Teaching and Librarianship:
- Teaches in the information literacy program which entails designing curriculum, classroom teaching, working with faculty and with other library staff.
- Contributes towards course reviews in relation to the availability of course-related resources.
- Provides reference service to faculty, students and staff and serves on the Library Reference Desk and rotates to cover extended hours.
- Trains and works closely with reference technicians in performing reference duties.
- Works with one or more colleges or programs on collection development and the integration of information literacy into their majors.
- Collaborates with faculty on their research and participates in facilitating workshops for faculty on library resources available to support their teaching and research.
- Promotes the use of library resources to the university community.
- Develops and maintains subject guides (LibGuides), user aids and the library web site.
- Participates in planning library initiatives. Assesses and provides feedback on effectiveness of library programs.
Scholarship and Creative Activities:
- Actively engages in scholarly and or professional/creative activities such as publishing journal articles, compiling bibliographies, presenting at a professional conference, editing or peer reviewing articles in professional journals etc.
- Service and Outreach
- Serves on relevant library teams, councils and university committees.
- Participates in professional development activities.
- Performs other duties and tasks as assigned to ensure normal operation of library services.
- Must have an M.L.S./MLIS from an accredited ALA institution or equivalent.
- Minimum 4 years reference experience in an American or western style higher education institution/library.
- Must have strong information technology skills and knowledge and experience on computer applications for library.
- Must possess strong knowledge of a variety of print and electronic reference sources to be able to guide library patrons as required.
- Fluency in English is required to allow the incumbent to communicate verbally and in writing effectively.
- Must have strong presentation skills.
Other essential requirements:
- Good coaching skills are essential.
- Demonstrated commitment to user-centered public services is required.
- Ability to travel between Abu Dhabi and Dubai campuses.
Desired or preferred requirements:
- Doctorate in library or related studies is desirable.
- Experience working in the academic libraries.
- Web site development skills desirable.
- Fluency in Arabic desirable.
The University’s benefits package is highly attractive, with competitive salaries, cash housing, a furniture allowance, annual vacation airline tickets for the employee and immediate family, educational subsidies for children and healthcare is provided to the employee and sponsored family members.
In addition to completing the online application form, attach a cover letter, a current CV, and the names and contact details of three professional references.
While we appreciate all applications, you will be contacted only if you are selected for an interview.