Senior Research Fellow 1 (Psychometrics Research and Analysis)
Senior Research Fellow 1 (Psychometrics Research and Analysis)
Reference Number: SRF1
Department: Research and Test Development
Division: ACER UIK
Job Size Classification: 500
Reports To: Research Director, UK
The Senior Research Fellow 1 (SRF1) (Psychometrics Research and Analysis) is a research expert who is responsible for achieving relevant project objectives, making contributions to educational knowledge, policy or practice, and building knowledge in the analysis of educational assessment data.
The SRF1 is also responsible for leading psychometric analysis, directing projects, leading people, and working in collaboration with both internal and external project stakeholders to deliver quality research and project outcomes.
ACER is seeking a senior research fellow (SRF1) to lead a small team of psychometric analysts and research officers in the UK office in London. The appointee will play an important role in building the capacity of the team in the UK to conduct psychometric analysis and research on existing as well as future projects.
This position will require expert knowledge in statistical research and experience in psychometric analysis of assessment and survey results. Good leadership and staff development skills are also required to support the professional development of other team members. The senior research fellow will also be responsible for identifying new business opportunities and will contribute to the development of proposals in the UK and internationally.
ACER’s UK office is small and growing rapidly. The ability to work flexibly and adapt to change will be important for this role. The appointee will also be expected to build and maintain strong links to the psychometrics team in Melbourne as well as in other international offices. The SRF will also develop links to the UK education research community and will be expected to give presentations at conferences in order to raise ACER’s profile as a leading global expert in this field.
- Provide leadership in one or more areas of educational research expertise
- Contribute to educational knowledge, policy or practice
- Identify, initiate and develop research proposal submissions, applications and tenders for new business
- Lead and manage research projects which deliver to agreed objectives, standards, timelines and budgets
- Lead, manage and coach staff for optimal individual and team performance
- Regularly disseminate and communicate research project outcomes by presenting and publishing work undertaken at/for ACER
- Actively contribute to and participate in continuous improvement activities to enhance the delivery of research outcomes at ACER
- Develop and build professional collegiality and networks through participation in events, forums, workshops and conferences at ACER and in the broader research community
- Promote ACER’s research profile by effectively engaging, collaborating and partnering with external stakeholders across academic, government and industry bodies
- Contribute to ACER’s higher education courses through writing content, teaching and online moderation where agreed and as appropriate/relevant
Decision Making Authority
The SRF1 is responsible for directing projects which includes the supervision of project team members. In addition, the SRF1 may have direct line management responsibilities.
Decisions involving the commitment of significant resources or funding and/or related to employee matters or client relationships, are made with reference to the relevant Senior Manager and/or Head of Division.
- Proactively work towards achieving individual, team and organisational objectives while demonstrating ACER’s leadership behaviours:
- Developing Self – involves self-management, self-reflection and self-improvement
- Embracing Change – being open to change and leading change when appropriate
- Pursuing Excellence – ongoing search for new and better ways of working
- Setting Directions – strategic thinking and planning for the future
- Supporting Colleagues – supporting and contributing to the development of others
- Working Collaboratively – building highly effective internal and external relationships
- Actively work to create an equitable, fair and harmonious work environment which is free from harassment, bullying and discrimination by demonstrating respectful and courteous behaviour towards others
- Proactively foster an inclusive and diverse work environment which encourages and respects different experiences and perspectives, and values diversity of thought
- Comply with all occupational health and safety requirements, including following safe work practices for self and others
- Work in accordance with ACER’s policies and procedures
PhD or equivalent postgraduate qualification (or accomplishments / experience) in relevant discipline
Knowledge, Skills and Attributes
- Extensive experience in the psychometric analysis of educational assessment data, including advanced skills in item response theory and associated software
- Advanced skills in using a range of statistical software e.g. R, SAS, SPSS
- Expertise in Item Response Theory (IRT) and the Rasch model would be highly advantageous.
- Ability to program in one or more programming languages to automate data analysis tasks
- Established record of high quality educational research proficiency and output which has been published and presented at a national and/or international level
- Experience leading collaborative research projects which deliver to objectives, standards, timelines and budgets
- Demonstrated people leadership and management skills and experience
- Proficiency in consulting, influencing and collaborating effectively with both internal and external stakeholders
- Ability to work across academic, government and industry bodies to negotiate and achieve agreed outcomes
- Demonstrated ability to identify and develop research proposals and tenders for new business
- High-level organisational and project management skills, with the proven ability to manage varied and conflicting demands while maintaining attention to detail
- Financial management skills including budget management
- High level computer proficiency, particularly with general office software and relevant analytical and/or specialist software
- Willingness to learn and demonstrated commitment to continuous improvement and professional development