Assistant General Manager, Stanford Guest House
Founded in 1891, Stanford University is among the top academic institutions in the country, excelling in a wide range of fields from the humanities to information technology to the health sciences and medicine. The university is located near Palo Alto, 35 miles south of San Francisco, on an 8,800-acre campus.
Residential & Dining Enterprises (R&DE), the largest auxiliary organization at Stanford University, supports the academic mission of the University by providing the highest quality services to students and other members of the university community. The Department has an annual operating budget of over $270 million, oversees a 5 million sq. ft. physical plant across the campus, and provides housing for over 13,000 students and dependents, serves over 18,000 daily meals at 30 dining and retail locations and over 300,000 meals at Athletic Concessions events, and hosts 20,000 conference guests annually. Additionally, R&DE comprises 735 FTE staff in the following divisions: the Office of the Senior Associate Vice Provost, Student Housing, Stanford Dining, Stanford Hospitality & Auxiliaries, Stanford Conferences, and a team of R&DE strategic business partners: Finance & Administration, Human Resources, Information Technology and Communications.
“Students (Customers) First” is the mantra of R&DE and our strategic goals reflect our commitment to delivering quality and excellence to our constituents every day. In R&DE,“Excellence is defined by aligning our strategic goals and performance with our vision.”
Summary of Position
The Assistant General Manager supports the General Manager by overseeing all aspects of the Stanford Guest House operations including Front desk operations and room reservations, Housekeeping, Transportation, Guest Services, Accounting and ensuring exceptional customer service. This position also serves as the General Manager during their absence and is responsible for handling Emergency response. Daily duties include the management of the 24-hour Guest House front desk including supervision of up to fifteen Front Desk Agents. Typical tasks are training, scheduling, and supervising staff, coverage for absentee desk agents, and providing guest services. Broad guidelines and direction are given by the General Manager at SGH but the employee is expected to work independently to complete assignments and direct the operations of the front desk. Standard work hours are 8:00am to 5:00pm, but vary on a regular basis to meet operational needs. This position reports directly to the General Manager of the Stanford Guest House.
Essential Job Functions
Front Desk Management – 60%
- Manage the daily operations and workflow of approximately fifteen employees at the front desk; Ensure that the highest standards for customer service are maintained 24-hours a day and seven days a week.
- Supervise staff using a switchboard, a property management system, a web reservation system, a key control system and other technologies.
- Schedule employees to ensure adequate coverage within budgetary guidelines; Provide coverage in place of absent employees when necessary.
- Oversee the daily assignments of all front desk staff and inspect their work; Investigate and resolve guest inquiries and issues.
- Prepare and approve staff timesheets and payroll.
- Ensure that all guests are properly registered, charged, and checked out; Verify that all pertinent information is collect from guests and retained; Coordinate with other administrative staff to maintain accurate information on room statuses.
- Train existing staff on cash controls to minimize risk and ensure Compliance; Supervise key controls to ensure that adequate security is maintained.
- Provide the front desk with the proper tools and equipment and instruct them on its use; Inventory supplies and maintain an adequate stock for daily operations.
- Make staffing recommendations including the recruitment, hiring, and disciplining of employees.
- Train existing and new staff on applicable best practices; Update policies and procedures to ensure that they are current and applicable.
- Supervise a ground transportation program for guests to provide door-to-door shuttle service throughout the University area; Assigns ground transportation for guest or faculty to campus destinations.
Administrative – 40%
- Serve as the General Manager in their absence. Help oversee all operations of the Stanford Guest House including housekeeping, financial, facilities, and reservations.
- Maximize operational protocol to enhance revenues. Manage rate availability to maximize revenues and meet budgetary objectives.
- Participates in Marketing initiatives including online Marketing/Social Media. Assists in development of Marketing strategies to enhance revnue in collaboration with General Manager.
- Works closely with multiple partners throughout R&DE to achieve best in class service standards.
- Implements a high quality service model for the Guest House.
- Participates in creating and executing strategic initiative in collaboration with the General Manager.
- Act a role model of R&DE’s culture, principles, and values. Participate is all leadership meetings, presentations, and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s Degree with three to five years progressive management experience in the hospitality industry.
- Experience and ability to work on varied or split-shifts, evenings, weekends, holidays and overtime is required.
- Possession of a valid California driver’s license required.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English required; Bilingual in Spanish preferred.
- Working knowledge, understanding, and experience in processing payroll and applying labor laws and guidelines appropriately and accurately required; Ability to schedule employees to cover fluctuating workloads.
- Demonstrated skill in providing excellent customer service, maintain control and composure in difficult situations, and project a professional manner at all times; Ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Knowledge of standard hotel policies and procedures in a fast-paced environment, answer large volumes telephone inquiries and reservations, and use a desktop computer to enter and retrieve guest information.
- Demonstrated aptitude and attitude to work independently without direct supervision, and for learning new tasks quickly and efficiently.
- Ability to maintain and exercise sound judgment and discretion in handling confidential information.
- Attention to detail and demonstrated effectiveness in managing multiple work assignments with accuracy.
- Strong computer skills required including knowledge and application of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Familiarity with University or academic work environment preferred, but not required.
"Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of the job."
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 4141
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: J
- Requisition ID: 83863