Degree Progress Officer
Degree Progress Officer, Classification F, 100% FTE, Exempt, Regular
School of Engineering, Department of Mechanical Engineering
Stanford Engineering has been at the forefront of innovation for nearly a century, creating pivotal technologies that have transformed the worlds of information technology, communications, health care, energy, business and beyond. Our faculty and students are creative risk-takers who pursue excellence across a breadth of disciplines. Our alumni include some of the world's most successful leaders in technology and business. Our staff are critical to enabling Stanford Engineering to accomplish its mission: seeking solutions to some of the world's most urgent challenges and educating leaders who will make the world a better place through the power of engineering principles, techniques and systems.
School of Engineering website: https://engineering.stanford.edu/
The Department of Mechanical Engineering in the School of Engineering seeks a Degree Progress Officer to join its team. The Degree Progress Officer reports to the Director of Student and Academic Services.
The Degree Progress Officer is a key contributor to the Mechanical Engineering Department Student Services Office. This position makes a direct impact by supporting graduate students through their academic career at the top mechanical engineering department in the country. Under minimal supervision, the Degree Progress Officer will supervise, administer, implement and interpret university and/or department policies and procedures, as they relate to degree programs, requirements and milestones. As well as assist in making first level decisions on issues regarding admission, financial aid, housing, registrar services, visa services, student life, advising, career counseling and academic services. Resolve routine issues within own unit using defined policies and practices and professional knowledge as reference.
Mechanical Engineering website: https://me.stanford.edu/
Your responsibilities include:
- Review and administer student records, analyze data, and make recommendations that require interpretation and influence decisions on routine issues.
- Collaborate with other staff, faculty and other offices to resolve complex issues.
- Contribute to developing and analyzing review process of offerings, policies and programs.
- Collect and analyze data from multiple sources, prepare reports. Contribute to identifying trends, needs analysis, participate in the implementation and testing of technology.
- Contribute to development of marketing materials and strategies, assist in planning and developing programming activities, outreach functions.
- Provide advice to students on a range of issues, including, but not limited to, academic progress, academic program policies, career plans, accessibility, community standards, etc., in order to assist them in making appropriate choices and decisions.
- Apprise students of research, fellowship and scholarship opportunities and participate in related student recruitment and selection.
- Serve as a subject matter resource to other departments; represent unit/department.
- May assist with the administration of financial processes.
- Participate as a member of a project team.
- May train and supervise other staff, volunteers, student and temporary workers.
- Other duties as needed
To be successful in this position, you will bring:
- Bachelor’s degree and two years of relevant experience, or combination of education and relevant experience.
- Master’s Degree desired.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills, including experience with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Customer service skills.
- Basic office administration skills.
- Ability to learn compliance with legal, financial, and university policies and external regulations.
- Interpersonal Skills: Demonstrates the ability to work well with Stanford colleagues and clients and with external organizations.
- Promote Culture of Safety: Demonstrates commitment to personal responsibility and value for safety; communicates safety concerns; uses and promotes safe behaviors based on training and lessons learned.
- Subject to and expected to comply with all applicable University policies and procedures, including but not limited to the personnel policies and other policies found in the University’s Administrative Guide, http://adminguide.stanford.edu
*Consistent with its obligations under the law, the University will provide reasonable accommodation to any employee with a disability who requires accommodation to perform the essential functions of his or her job
Why Stanford is for You
We provide competitive salaries, excellent health care and retirement plans, and a generous vacation policy, including additional time off during our winter closure. Our unique perks align with what matters to you:
- Freedom to grow. Take advantage of career development programs, tuition reimbursement, or audit a course. Join a TedTalk, film screening, or listen to a renowned author or leader discuss global issues.
- A caring culture. We understand the importance of your personal and family time and provide you access to wellness programs, child-care resources, parent education and consultation, elder care and caregiving support.
- A healthier you. We make wellness a priority by providing access to world-class exercise facilities. Climb our rock wall, or participate in one of hundreds of health or fitness classes.
- Discovery and fun. Stroll through historic sculptures, trails, and museums.
- Enviable resources. We offer free commuter programs and ridesharing incentives. Enjoy discounts for computing, cell phones, outdoor recreation, travel, entertainment, and more!
We pride ourselves in being a culture that encourages and empowers you.
How to Apply
We invite you to apply for this position by clicking on the “Apply for Job” button. To be considered, please submit your résumé and a one-page cover letter along with your online application. Your one page cover letter should briefly describe your background in customer service and provide examples of your experience with attention to detail, responsiveness and decision-making.
- Schedule: Full-time
- Job Code: 7501
- Employee Status: Regular
- Grade: F