Research Officer, Propagation and Medical Cultivation of Medical Cannabis
- Full-time, fixed-term 3 years contract opportunity based in RMIT Bundoora Campus
- Opportunity to use your knowledge and experience cannabis propagation/ varied soil less cultivation techniques in this Industry funded projects
- Build and further develop technical laboratory skills and research interest through active participation in providing research assistance to the Australian and industry partners for the search of anti-cancer properties on medical cannabis
- Report directly to Associate Professor Nitin Mantri
- Remuneration at HEW 4 Level, with competitive salary packaging + 17% superannuation
As Research Fellow, you will be:
- Assist in propagating and cultivating medical cannabis plants and making crosses as well as optimising the current cultivation method
- Work collaboratively with researchers and industry partners of varying expertise to identify quality medical cannabis strains for treating serious health issues such as cancer and epilepsy
- Utilise your expertise and in-depth knowledge of hydroponic and other soil less cultivation methods
Roles and Responsibilities
- Actively carry-out research various medical cannabis strains through propagation and cultivation methods as well as ensuring records of cultivation and its disposal are maintained
- Assist in assembling and maintaining the hydroponic and other soil less cultivation systems as well as the irrigation and fertigation systems
- Manage and ensure the growth room environment is at appropriate conditions
- Work collaboratively with the research team by actively carrying out research activities accordingly
- Ensure the ongoing optimisation of grow method through constant communication with the Australian and global cultivators for on-going optimisation of grow method
- Prepare report and feature articles on grow methods
Skills and Experiences Required
- Certificate III or equivalent in Horticulture, Applied Chemistry, Medical Science, Natural Products, Traditional Medicine with commensurate working experience and expertise
- Proven experimental experience in cannabis propagation/cultivation is essential
- Demonstrated ability to set-up and maintain the various soil less cultivation methods as well as the irrigation/fertigation systems
- Possess working knowledge of lighting, humidity, and temperature control that are essential for cannabis cultivation
- Strong organisational and time-management skills to meet the demand of workloads and deadlines.
- Strong verbal communication skills and sound knowledge medical cannabis grow methods
- Passion and ability to build strong relationships across all levels of professional staff within the organisation.
Our people make everything at the University possible. We encourage new approaches to work and learning, stimulating change to drive positive impact. RMIT exists to create transformative experiences for our students, getting them ready for life and work. You will be a part of a productive and collaborative team, who values working relationships and outcomes through open and inclusive planning, continuous information sharing and transparent work practices
- Flexible working arrangements
- Be part of RMITs academic life and attend various events and workshops
- Access to RMIT staff gym (including free Yoga and Pilates classes)
- MYKI pass discount
- Additional annual leave
To find out more, please visit our website: RMIT Employee Benefits
RMIT is a multi-sector university of technology, design and enterprise with more than 91,000 students and 11,000 staff globally. RMIT offers postgraduate, undergraduate, vocational education and online programs to provide students with a variety of work-relevant pathways.
The School of Science provides over 45 bachelor and postgraduate programs, and undertakes world class research across the disciplines of physical sciences, mathematical sciences and computer science.
One of RMIT's top-performing research schools, we deliver research that addresses the 'real life questions' essential to Australia's innovation agenda. Our high-quality teaching programs inspire students to pursue careers in a range of industries including health, materials technology, food, geospatial and surveying, environmental analysis, banking and commerce, as well as computing and IT roles and research and development across a wide range of areas.
The School has staff, students and facilities on both the City and Bundoora campuses, has 300 staff, 327 higher degree research students, 3347 coursework students and an annual budget of $120 million.
Details relating to the School can be found at www.rmit.edu.au/about/our-education/academic-schools/science/
For further information, please view the position description attached below or contact Associate Professor Nitin Mantri at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications close on Monday 5th August 2019.
Applicants are requested to upload an updated resume and a cover letter of not more than two pages highlighting the suitability for this position and your achievements. Applicants are requested to separately address the key selection criteria as outlined in the Position Description.
This role will require satisfactory confirmation of a Working with Children Check & Victorian Police Check. You will be require to maintain clean Police Check record throughout the employment.
RMIT is an equal opportunity employer committed to being a child safe organisation. We are dedicated to attracting, retaining and developing our people regardless of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community and we strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander community.
RMIT was named as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality (EOCGE) from the Workplace Gender Equality Agency (WGEA) in 2018 based on significant progress made in 2017, and Gold Employer status in the Australian Workplace Equality Index (AWEI) in recognition of our commitment to celebrating the diverse genders, sexes and sexualities.
More searches like this
- Fixed Term Clinical, Pre-clinical & Health Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Fixed Term Physical Sciences Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Fixed Term Other Health & Social Care Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne
- Fixed Term Chemistry Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Melbourne