Research Assistant, Centre for Wood Science and Technology
Application closing date 12/08/2019
Salary Grade 4: 26243 - 31302
Package Excellent Benefit Packge
Enhance your research career and change how we build with timber Research Assistant, Full Time - Fixed Term (2 years)
We are currently looking for a Research Assistant to join our Centre for Wood Science and Technology.
"InFutUReWood", Innovative Design for the Future - Use and Reuse of Wood (Building) Components is a new project, with partners in Sweden, UK, Ireland, Germany, Finland, Spain and Slovenia. The timber construction sector is growing and innovative, with new methods of building and new engineered wood products, composites and treatments. This project looks one step into the future to ask: "How should we build today to be able to circulate tomorrow?", "How easy is it to reuse the wood from current buildings especially as a structural material?" and "How can the past experience help the future?" The knowledge will be transferred to industry to avoid inadvertent and unnecessary problems for future generations. We are leading the work package that looks at grading for quality of recovered wood, and similarly variable new wood from more diverse sources. We will also work on design for deconstruction, design with recycled wood, and lifecycle assessment.
The InFutUReWood project is supported under the umbrella of ERA-NET Cofund ForestValue which has received funding from the European Union's Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 773324.
Who we are looking for
As Research Assistant you will be undertaking research, analysis and knowledge transfer, writing reports, giving presentations and networking with researchers and industry. The role includes elements of learning and teaching to supervise linked undergraduate projects, and deliver continuing professional development to practitioners.
The role includes engineering laboratory work and travel to meetings and conferences in the UK and Europe. The work will be in the area of timber grading and properties assessment, standardisation, timber engineering, and environmental assessment.
- First degree level qualification, or equivalent experience in engineering, materials science, architecture or other related built environment subject linked to construction, environmental impact and the circular economy.
- Familiarity with timber as a construction material, its production, and modern methods of construction.
- Knowledge of data analysis methods, statistics, developing empirical models
- Qualifications in timber engineering, wood science, forest products, environmental assessment and/or relevant professional memberships or qualifications
- Experience of working with a relevant industrial sector, an interdisciplinary environment, and/or with wood or environmental impact assessment
You can read the full role profile here.
Benefits we offer
In return, we offer a great working environment and offer an attractive benefits package. Click here.
Salary: GBP 26,243 - GBP 31,302 per annum
Closing Date: 12 August 2019
Interviews date: 27 August 2019
This role does not meet the minimum requirements set by UKVI to enable sponsorship of migrant workers. Therefore, we cannot progress applications from candidates who require sponsorship to work in the UK. For further information on this, please visit the UK Visas and Immigration website.
The University is committed to inclusion, demonstrated through our work in respect of our diversity awards and accreditations (Advance HE's Athena SWAN Charter) and hold Disability Confident, Career Positive and Stonewall Scotland Diversity Champion status. More details can be found here
More searches like this
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Architecture Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Edinburgh
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Engineering & Technology Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Edinburgh
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term Arts & Humanities Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Edinburgh
- £30,001 - £40,000 Fixed Term General Engineering Research Assistants / Officers jobs in Edinburgh