Director, School of Professional and Continuing Education
Department: School of Professional and Continuing Education
Duty station: Bishkek, Kyrgyz Republic with travel in the region
Deadline: 15 September 2019
Summary of Position and Key Responsibilities
The School of Professional and Continuing Education (SPCE) is one of the University of Central Asia’s three schools and leads the institution’s engagement with the broader society by offering a broad range of non-degree courses and programmes to a wide spectrum of learners. SPCE programmes meet the immediate and emerging needs of communities for skills and qualification for employment, occupational and education mobility, improvement of livelihoods through the development of entrepreneurship.
The Director serves as the chief academic and administrative officer of the School. The Director ensures that the approved strategic objectives are implemented, and the appropriate educational established. The incumbent is responsible for regularly assessing and meeting training needs of the communities and constituencies that SPCE serves. Launched in 2006, SPCE operates 13 Learning Centres in the UCA Founding States – Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Kazakhstan; and Afghanistan with a cumulative enrolment of over 135,000.
The SPCE Director is a member of UCA’s Management Executive Committee and reports to the University Rector.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and direct the development and implementation of educational and training programmes and ensure that the curricula are appropriate to needs of the diverse population of students.
- Ensure that quality assurance policies and processes are followed and recommend measures on an on-going basis to improve the quality and effectiveness of teaching.
- Direct and conduct research, assessment and evaluation of future training programme needs. Oversees the periodic evaluation of existing curricula to ensure courses remain relevant.
- Develop and oversee the execution of SPCE’s budgets and administer contracts. Provide leadership and direction in the development of funding proposals.
- Provide leadership and direction in the assignment of instructional and non-instructional staff, transferring as needed to meet programme needs. Oversee training and the development of staff. Evaluates and supervises faculty and staff.
- As the chief spokesperson for SPCE, ensure working relations are maintained with various government entities, international donor organizations and other educational establishments, and ensure there is robust public communication and marketing.
- Develops a good working relationship with other UCA Schools and entities to maximize synergies and assure the functioning of SPCE.
Desired Qualifications and Capacities
- Master’s degree in a relevant discipline
- Senior level experience in educational administration and curriculum development, especially at institutions of higher learning or training organizations involved in delivering continuing education and skills development courses.
- Knowledge of budgetary processes, programme planning and evaluation, and record in acquiring and managing external grant funding
- Possession of management skills.
- Demonstrated leadership
- Teaching experience at post-secondary level
- Demonstrated understanding on the role of education in addressing contemporary socio-economic issues facing societies
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to maintain effective working relations with various government agencies, donor agencies, businesses and communities
- Familiarization with national legislation governing this educational section
- Knowledge of key international frameworks in education
- Excellent English and Russian language skills required; fluency in one of regional languages desirable.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter, CV, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15th 2019. As your application e-mail subject, please write: “Director SPCE”.
Information about SPCE: https://www.ucentralasia.org/Schools/Spce/EN
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.